Review: The Newest Edition to “The Hunger Games” Storyline

Source: https://www.pexels.com/photo/a-group-of-people-watching-movie-7991318/ No changes made to image.

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” was possibly the most anticipated movie for fans of the “Hunger Games” series. This movie details the life of young President Snow, the antagonist in the “Hunger Games” series. It touches on the origins of the “Hunger Games,” the backstory behind Snow’s ruthless reign later on in the series, and how the complicated relationships that he had affected his character in the future. 

Rachel Zegler as Lucy Gray Baird, Tom Blyth as young President Snow, Hunter Schafer as Tigris Snow and Peter Dinklage as Casca Highbottom were just some of the incredible actors that helped bring the book to life. 

Not only was the writer of the screenplay Suzanne Collins, the writer of the “Hunger Games” series as well as “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”, but the director was Francis Lawrence who directed all of the previous “Hunger Games” movies save for the first one. Even with an impressive cast, bringing a book to the screen can prove to be challenging, and “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” accomplished this feat without much room for complaint. 

Not only did this movie stay true to the book, but it enhanced the experience–something that can be easily forgotten when books are translated into movies. Allowing readers and viewers of the “Hunger Games” alike to glimpse into President Coriolanus Snow’s life before he ascends to power, gives an incredible depth to not only the novels, but the other “Hunger Games” movies as well. 

Although Snow has always been and will continue to be one of the most disgusting leaders in dystopian fiction, his backstory is still wonderfully crafted. Playing such a complicated character—and by complicated I mean murderous and pathologically insane—can be incredibly difficult, and making the viewing of such a complicated character enjoyable can be even more difficult. Adapting books into movies can be a challenge, and in this case, it was done perfectly. 

While there are often many issues with translating books into movies, I found that “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” exceeded my expectations. At times parts of a book are sacrificed in order to fit into the allotted screen time, character traits are overlooked, or even huge plot points are ignored. Not only did Collins make sure that none of the book was sacrificed to fit into the movie, but the characters were just as rich and interesting as she created them to be. 

While in some cases adapting all parts of a book onto the screen can make a movie feel too long, “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” had a fast-paced and intriguing storyline that made it go by quickly. Not to mention that the cinematography was some of the best I’ve seen in a while; costume design, camera angle, fight scenes, special effects, even the tiniest details were discernible and well-translated onto the screen.

So we’ve covered the writing, the directing, and the cinematography. It’s about time to mention the astounding actors that were a part of this movie. It’s only fair to start with our universally despised leader of pure dementedness- Coriolanus Snow. Some might say that this glance into his past justifies his behavior in the future. I, however, say that he is still deserving of his fate at the end of the “Hunger Games” series.

Not only does Blyth beautifully display Snow’s utter disregard for everyone but himself, but he showcases the opportunities for redemption that Snow ignored time and time again. Snow’s frigid disposition adds an icy layer to the movie which is perfectly suspenseful to view on screen. 

Now in opposition to this terrible future president is the wonderful Lucy Gray. She’s depicted with incredible grace and prowess by Zegler, whose singing lived up to everything that the book promised. Lucy Gray is a part of the Covey, a group of singers, actors, and performers who help to bring good spirit to those living in the vile area of district 12 in Panem. Lucy Gray is a born performer, but so is the actress who plays her.

After reading, viewing and loving “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the “Hunger Games” series or dystopian fiction in general. As a prequel, it’s perfect to watch or read before binge-watching (or reading for my fellow book-lovers) the other “Hunger Games” movies.

So, the next time you’re looking for a movie to satisfy your hunger for perfectly crafted writing, performing, cinematography and a president to make you clench your fists with rage- look no further. Grab your preferred movie snack, a drink, maybe some tissues (rest in peace to our beloved tributes), and enjoy this incredible adaptation. And may the odds be ever in your favor.