Sophomore Timothy Cruz Makes PMEA All-State Choir

Timothy Cruz with chorus director Mrs. Haldeman

The annual Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) All-State choir festival is composed of 240 student vocalists, and this year sophomore Timothy Cruz secured a spot amongst the top vocalists in the state.

Judges from Pennsylvania Music Educators Association select 30 students from each voice part (soprano 1, soprano 2, alto 1, alto 2, tenor 1, tenor 2, bass 1, bass 2) to sing together in a state-wide choir in Erie. These students are selected from the group performing at the various audition-based regional chorus competitions held in the state.

At the regional choir level, “They first announce the two songs that will be used for the audition, and then what excerpts of the songs each voice part will sing. You’re then given your position in line, and will eventually be sent into the room with the judges to show them what you’ve got,” Cruz said.

After auditions, the waiting begins. The judges take time to intricately examine each audition and choose which six they want to send from each voice part. Cruz was not expecting to be selected, but was pleasantly surprised to see his name posted amongst the list of state finalists.

“I am beyond proud to have been selected, and I vividly remember my shock as well as my friends and families’ reactions to finding out I made it. I thought there was no way that I would, but I am overjoyed and honored that I did,” Cruz said.

He also explained that what matters more than advancing to the next level is the experience itself.

He said that he, “wouldn’t view festivals as just another opportunity to audition for the next level, but rather something to celebrate your already-achieved status.”

Cruz said that at each festival what sticks with him the most are the people he meets and the memories he makes. He said that being able to perform amongst such talented individuals who have a shared passion for the beauty of music is something that he will always remember, regardless of what level he is performing at.

“It brings such a large group together all at once. You feel connected to these other musicians even if you don’t know them personally, and it’s the combined effort and talent that comes together to bring out such creativity in music for the choir as a whole,” he said.

All-State choir will begin rehearsals on Thursday, April 18 and the festival will be held on Saturday, April 20 in Erie.