Six MT Musicians Advance to Regional Band

The 10 musicians who went to District Band. Out of the 10, six of these musicians will advance to regionals (Alyx Maxie, Lily Babione, Andy Do, Cameron Ribich, Jacob Hawkins and Bill Wang).

On Jan. 13, 10 students from MT band went to District Band to perform with other talented students from the area. Out of these 10 performers, six will advance to participate in Regional Band. 

“Districts went really well,” said junior clarinet player Lily Babione. “The festival was a ton of fun and really rewarding. The students are at such a high caliber.”

Senior Alyx Maxie, who plays bass clarinet, explained that although the rehearsal process prior to the concert can be very tiring, it is all worth it to play with such talented performers for friends and family. 

Like district band, there is an audition process to go to regionals. Students prepare both a short musical composition and a piece specific to their instrument. 

From MT, eight students auditioned to be part of regional band and six were selected to participate: Maxie, Babione, Andy Do, Cameron Ribich, Jacob Hawkins and Bill Wang. Regional band will be held Feb. 22-24 and is set up very similarly to districts, with days of rehearsals followed by a large concert. 

“I’m super excited about playing in regional band,” said Maxie. “As a senior, and a first time player in the regional band, I’m excited to just be around people at the same playing level as me and who care about the activity as much as myself.”