New club gives voice to social justice

MT Coalition, created in 2020, is devoted to advancing collaboration between MTHS clubs.

Organization logo courtesy of Sophie Yost

Grace Jenkins

Manheim Township’s new student-led organization, MT Coalition for Social Justice, strives to proactively inspire change in the environment at Manheim Township by uniting clubs. Black Student Union, Gender Sexuality Alliance, Student Environment Education Coalition, and Women in Leadership are the first that have joined the coalition.

In the midst of quarantine following the start of the Black Lives Matter movement, Mrs. Kennedy, the previous advisor to Women in Leadership, proposed a concept for a shirt design that involved mission statements from other clubs which inspired junior Sophie Yost, president of the Women in Leadership Club, to form the MT Coalition for Social Justice. 

“I decided to [form the coalition] because people seemed to need a sense of community right now. … I feel that every club does a really great thing by themselves, but why don’t we combine all those great things into one really all-encompassing event or series of events that can benefit our school community and also the community outside of the walls of the high school?” Yost said. 

The idea of a permanent collaboration between clubs became a reality with the help of English teacher Hannah Broich and Yost’s determination. From talking to advisors and peers, Yost set up a personal meeting with high school principals John Loose and David Rillat, who approved the organization.

Gellila Asmamaw, president of the BSU, believes that the coalition is more crucial than ever during the global pandemic and the increasing racial tension that is dividing the country because it will help unite clubs and the student body. “These core concepts of unity and creating a community where these difficult discussions can be had is so, so crucial right now, because the worst thing you could do in a time like this when we need change, and we need growth, is to be stagnant, is to do nothing, is to be dormant. And I think that it’s very easy to do that,” she said.

A few days prior to the start of school, Yost created an Instagram account where she introduced the clubs that are members of the coalition. As a way to help support the members, Yost plans to post event details of the clubs on the account’s story. 

“So with the clubs who want to be involved, we will totally be able to spotlight any events they have. … We’ll be able to help them host those events if they need help with that, and they’ll also have another account or group of people backing them up when they go to actually do whatever they want to do,” Yost said. 

One of the main reasons several of the clubs decided to join the coalition was due to feeling a lack of acceptance and support from fellow peers and faculty at Township. 

“I think for BSU especially, with the core purpose of creating this environment for Township’s Black students, being part of the coalition means we can really band together with other clubs to really further this goal,” Asmamaw said. 

“I personally have experienced things like homophobia, and unfortunately I’ve seen it happen [to other people]. I’d love to see more awareness throughout the school of how we’re all just there for the same reason: to learn, to get our education, and be on our way. I just want to spread the word that we’re all the same,” Paloma Rivera, leader of Gender Sexuality Alliance, said. 

To help foster acceptance throughout the high school, Yost wants to do a shirt fundraiser after hosting a panel with the clubs involved. The shirt’s potential design would contain phrases specific to the missions of the members in the coalition like love is love, Black Lives Matter, etc. 

For GSA and BSU especially, getting involved in the MT Coalition for Social Justice means gaining exposure and advice from more established clubs. Last year, two of GSA’s five  members graduated from Township, and the club is actively seeking new members. BSU is hoping to strengthen leadership skills by forming a more united support system of people wanting to inspire change.  

“I think the administration definitely needs to spearhead this and be leaders…and address the social issues that we are currently facing right now. And once that happens…once students see that our school is really taking strides to make an impact, that’s when you fuel motivation,” Asmamaw said. 

Rivera also expressed a desire for more understanding at Manheim Township and urged other clubs to get involved. 

“I genuinely just hope that people hear us, or at least maybe get an understanding of the world we are trying to make. I just hope more people are interested, more people come to join us, cause I do believe that the bigger the coalition is, the stronger we can be, and the bigger change we can make,” Rivera said. 

To stay up to date with MT Coalition, students can follow the account on Instagram at mt.coalition where more information will be disclosed in regards to future events such as a possible book drive, panel, and shirt fundraiser for charity. All clubs interested in joining the coalition can sign up using this Google Form.