Live for Lucian Club

On July 18, the MT community lost a beloved alumni, Lucian Li, in a tragic car accident. In his honor, MTHS has recently started a new club called Live for Lucian. The club will be available for selection on Wednesday, Oct. 4 (club selection day). 

Lucian graduated from MTHS in 2022 and went on to continue his academic and athletic career as a lacrosse player at Kenyon College. At only 19 years old, Lucian sadly died in a car crash as the result of several injuries. Lucian participated in multiple sports at MTHS including lacrosse, cross country, and basketball. His friends recall that he was always positive, friendly and enthusiastic. Many said he lifted people up and wanted to make people feel good about themselves. Lucian also chose to be an organ donor. His wishes were fulfilled through the Gift of Life Donor Program. After Lucian’s death, his father started a GoFundMe (the Live for Lucian fund) to help others with scholarships. 

The club’s advisor is Mr. Wagner. Seniors Emilie Mosner and Ellie Romano originally wanted to start a club to honor Lucian. They approached Mr. Wagner about taking on the role of club advisor. 

“The purpose of the club is to spread kindness while also having fun,” said Mr. Wagner. The club will also incorporate a food component because Lucian loved food. The club’s goal is to spread positivity to others, just like Lucian did. The three principles that exemplified Lucian according to his dad were (1) be kind, (2) help others, and (3) have fun. The club will spread these principles throughout the school. 

Mr. Wagner recalls that although Lucian was neither the best athlete on his teams nor a perfect student, he was a wonderful person who encouraged others. The club strives to spread the idea that students do not have to be perfect and to remove the pressure students and athletes are constantly under in Lucian’s memory.