Follies: A 30-year tradition

Will Esposito leads Follies actors in a comedy sketch. Photo by Justin Liu

Chloe Miller and Krisha Patel

Follies, a Manheim Township tradition, was held at the high school auditorium on April 20 and 21. It combines mid-act comedy sketches with performances from 18 different groups and solo performances. A multitude of musical acts took the stage to showcase their talent. The show was opened and closed by the MTHS Jazz Band, which also played during Yasmin Nicholas’ singing act. Follies is put on by Key Club, along with a stage, lighting, and production crew, skit actors, and Dan Reynolds, the Follies advisor.

“It was created in the 1980’s as a way to showcase talent of individual students,” says Reynolds.

Sophomore Yasmin Nicholas sings accompanied by the MTHS Jazz Band. Photo by Justin Liu.

Follies is almost entirely student-run. All the acts that are shown are picked by the student advisors. The comedy cast is also a group of students pulled together to poke at the school’s culture.

This year, Follies raised $2,112.77. The money raised by Manheim Township Key Club from follies is donated to the Boys and Girls Club of Lancaster. The Mission of the Boys and Girls Club of Lancaster is to enable all young people to become productive, caring, and responsible adults. Key Club manages the business aspect of Follies, according to Dan Aiello, Key Club advisor.  

“It’s the biggest fundraiser for Key Club,” states Aiello.

Follies is a massive success for Key Club and the students involved in Follies because it “allows students to showcase their actual talents,” said Aiello, “it’s not meant to make fun of [the students].” Different than Mini-THON’s Miss Four Diamonds Pageant, Aiello enjoys that Follies allows students to showcase random talents that are interesting. Carissa Collins, the production manager, states, “I would describe it [Follies] as a comedy, talent, variety show.”  

The MTHS Jazz Band performs at the 30th annual Follies. Photo by Justin Liu.

While Follies appears to be successful, Reynolds wishes it was more effective within the school.

“It fell on hard times about five years ago,” states Reynolds.

Follies had a supervision and attendance drop five years ago, and along with that, the quality of the acts seemed to drop as well. The committee that helps put on Follies is trying to build its reputation back up each year. Attendance has grown by 80 people in the past couple of years, and Follies does not appear to be going anywhere.