The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

Opinion: The College Admissions Process Is Getting More Difficult

Jamal El-Amin
Citation: https://www.flickr.com/photos/btreenews/2194744044 License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/ No changes made to image.

Applying to college can be a stressful time for many due to the increasingly competitive nature that surrounds the admissions process. 76% of students report feeling a high level of stress during this process and it appears to have increased in stress and difficulty over the years.

The total college applications volume rose from 5.4 million in 2019 to 7 million in 2022, which is a 30% jump. While the number of applications is increasing, the size of undergrad classes remains the same. That means more people will get rejected, which is why acceptance rates have been plummeting and it feels like it’s harder to get accepted to certain colleges. When students are researching colleges and they see the fall in acceptance rates, it can feel daunting and adds to the overall stress of applying.

Another stress inducing factor is the amount of time that applying to colleges takes. It is recommended to start the application process early, because an abundant amount of time needs to be carved out in order to complete all needed tasks. At this time you are researching academic programs, picking the colleges you want to apply for, writing essays, creating a list of extracurriculars and accomplishments, seeking out recommendation letters, applying for financial aid and scholarships, taking the SAT or ACT, and many other tasks that may need to be accomplished when applying to schools. It’s difficult to know when to start this process and how to go about it in a timely fashion which is why so many students are stressed out with timing.

Standardized testing is also a part of the application process that many students see as a stressful challenge. Taking the SAT or ACT may require a lot of preparation beforehand, as students need to study large amounts of material to be ready to take a long and difficult exam. These exams have controversially been seen as a bad example of student capabilities, because it is argued that some people may be bad test takers or that the tests don’t reflect the skills necessary to succeed in college. Many colleges have gone test optional; however, submitting a high test score can still boost your acceptance chances which is why many students still opt to take the SAT or ACT. Additionally, the SAT is now digital with adaptive modules. This concept is so new that students may feel more stressed not knowing how to prepare accurately for the digital version.

The cost to attend college has also significantly risen. Financial debt can be a big concern for students and tuition often adds to the stress of applying for scholarships and financial aid. Costs can also be what sways the choice of picking one college over another. In the past 20 years, tuition and fees at private National Universities have increased by about 40% and about 56% for public National Universities. 

A big stressor of the college applications process is having to think about the future. Students have to think about if they will be happy at a college and consider if they will be able to pay off the amount of debt that they take on in a timeline that suits their needs.

All these factors add to the stress of applying which leads to an increased amount of competitiveness. Because acceptance rates are getting lower, there is more stress to participate in a lot of extracurriculars, get a really high SAT score, or have a really high GPA in hopes of standing out to admissions officers. However, because so many students have similar high stats now, it makes it harder to stand out. Competition drives students to achieve more and look better for colleges, but this creates even more competition. It’s like a never ending cycle. 

It appears that the stress and difficulty of applying will only get tougher, but even though parts of the application process are stressful, it’s still an exciting opportunity as seniors begin to move on to a new chapter of their lives.