The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

Opinion: Daylight Savings Time Should Be Here To Stay

Helena Carroll

Daylight savings time has been around for hundreds of years now and it should be the time structure year round. Daylight savings is a period of time during the year where the sun is out for longer periods of time giving the illusion of a longer day even when the amount of hours in a day are the same. Over the years, winter has become, to many people, a depressing time of year. It is the season for many people to experience seasonal depression and the freezing temperatures make it many individuals’ least favorite season. While implementing daylight savings won’t affect the temperature, it could benefit many other things that are dreaded about winter. 

Daylight savings is better for people’s mental health. Seasonal depression is a term used for people who experience depression and are particularly affected during the winter months. Five percent of adults in the US experience Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) which is caused due to a serotonin drop when the days are shorter. While this is a small number of people, it doesn’t take into account teenagers, children, and those who haven’t been professionally diagnosed. 

Junior Gillian Sullivan, who has experienced seasonal depression, said that she feels happier when there is daylight for a longer period of time and the sun is out. She also finds winter to be sadder and harder to get through because of how dark and cold it is. While time change probably can’t affect the weather to a large extent it could help with the sadder tone winter seems to have. 

There are 280 million people in the United States who have depression that struggle during the winter months more than they do during the spring and summer. If we were to instill daylight savings time to be year round, it could improve people’s serotonin levels which would also improve individual’s sleep, anxiety, focus and productivity levels. 

Thinking ecologically, it can also save energy and is better for the environment. During daylight savings, most people are awake for most of the day and less at night than they are during the winter. This means that because of the natural sunlight they use less electricity in the house to light up their rooms. This can cut down on light pollution.  According to energyharbor.com the country saves close to 1.3 TeraWatt hours per year, which is the same amount of power that it takes to light a million houses for a year, cool 500,000 homes for a year, and fully power 70,000 homes per year.

Daylight savings time overall has a largely positive impact on communities and work spaces and should be implemented permanently because it is an inexpensive way to solve many global issues. This could help with people’s mental health, physical health, and electricity and light pollution just by holding the time back an hour so the sun can be out more.

View Comments (1)