Opinion: E. Jean Carroll’s Victory, An Important Step Forward For Women

Citation: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:E._Jean_Carroll_-_2006.jpg License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ No changes made to image

“He’s just… he’s nothing. I was terrified all this time. He is nothing.”

Spoken by E. Jean Carroll about Donald Trump on The Rachel Maddow Show on Jan. 29, these words follow a landmark award of $83 million. After Carroll accused Trump of sexually assaulting her in late 1995, her persistent fight has been rewarded after much struggle. Women everywhere have reason to celebrate, as this landmark ruling paves the way for women to come forward when assaulted because it shows they are more likely to be believed. 

On Jan. 26, 2024, for the first time in 30 years, Carroll came face-to-face with her abuser, former President Trump. In her interview with Rachel Maddow, she recalled feelings of fear when discussing meeting him again. However, as the hearing progressed, she began to realize the importance of her case: this wasn’t just for her—this was for women everywhere who have yet to be believed. 

Before the assault case, Carroll was a well-respected, prominent journalist for her formidable nature and resilience. The assault case spiraled her career, causing her to lose respect and to have to sleep with a gun under her pillow. She lost her prestige in the journalism world. At best, she was a frilly manners columnist for Elle magazine. Gone were the days of exploratory journalism and tackling existential questions. 

The alleged assault itself occurred in late 1995, when Trump ushered Carroll into a room and allegedly raped her. Twenty-four years later, in 2019, Carroll came forward about the situation. In court, it was ruled that Trump did assault her, and Carroll would be compensated monetarily. In  the most recent case in January Carroll was awarded with monetary compensation for Trump’s actions.

Due to the mental damage of Trump’s rape upon Carroll, defamation on his part from 2019 after Carroll came forward, the alleged rape, and the subsequent damage to Carroll’s career, the judge ruled that Carroll would be awarded $83 million.

Why does this matter so much? For starters, a woman has been believed in a massive sexual assault case. Throughout the years, women have been supressed and silenced in the court room, particularly in sexual assault cases. While unfortunately still true in some cases today, this case brings to light an important victory for women across the globe, especially considering that the judge who presided over Carroll’s case was male. This is a validating step forward for women, as it proves that women’s voices can be not only heard but believed. 

Secondly, Carroll’s age makes her subsequent victory that much more remarkable. Originally 52-years-old when the lawsuit happened, she came forward about the situation at the age of 80, to reclaim her power in the case. There were arguments made against her in court, devaluing her age, in essence arguing that because of her age she had lost her worth. Acts of bravery should not be devalued due to age, as worth does not decline when age increases, which adds to the significance of this case: Carroll’s victory is not only for young women, but an important step forward in the advocacy of older women as well. 

This ruling is monumental for all women, and will surely cause more women to come forward. There is value in all women, young and old. We should not be afraid to speak up and share our stories. This case is one step closer to women being believed in large court cases and for older women to retain value as they age.