The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

Opinion: A Valentine’s Day Full Of Song

Want a way to embarrass your friends? Proclaim your love? Even—shhhhh—stall your classes? Then singing valentines are for you. Every year on Valentine’s Day, singing valentines interrupts the classes at MT with love. Groups of troubadours from the chorus will sing to whoever receives a valentine. Available for $6 (then $5 for each subsequent purchase) at lunches, the valentines are a fun way to show your friends appreciation and embarrass them in the process. Throughout the day, the troubadours will deliver the “gifts” to the person of your choice. 

Classes are often delayed or paused when the valentines are delivered. Not that that is a good thing—I’m not trying to get in trouble here—but it is bound to happen at some point during the day. I think a little less class time could be a good thing at this point in the year, especially since academic fatigue is common during these late winter months. There is no break to look forward to, most winter sports are over, and it doesn’t feel any closer to the end of the year. Singing valentines are a fun way to add some chaos to a slow part of the year. 

Let’s be honest: the majority of people are not buying a valentine to confess their love, instead, it is an innocent way to embarrass your friends without high school drama. Rumors and jokes often can be rude or have undying meaning, but these don’t. All you get is a fun little video of your classmate shrinking into their seat while getting serenaded. It’s a nice memory and a successful way to bring light to the day, although embarrassing in the moment. 

The troubadours are also excited about singing valentines.

“It really is such a fun experience for not only us but also for the person getting it, because we get to bring some joy to their faces,” says Jackson Cogle, a sophomore troubadour who will be involved in delivering valentines. 

While it’s rare for someone to confess their undying love for another student, that’s not what singing valentines needs to represent. Valentine’s Day doesn’t need to be about romantic love; making your friends feel appreciated is just as important. The school atmosphere is so important to the students as a whole. This is a fun and lighthearted way to participate in a school tradition.