Opinion: New Year’s Resolutions Can Make A Positive Impact

Ainsley Bounds

What comes to mind when you think of the new year? Some people think about the festivities and celebrations: staying up until midnight and when the ball drops, popping confetti and streamers. Others think about the mental preparations that they will make to start the year off strong. When entering the new year, it’s important to make a resolution to prepare for the upcoming 365 days. However, the tradition of making New Year’s resolutions is beginning to be lost in the sea of glittery decorations. 

According to the History Channel, the idea of New Year’s resolutions was said to have begun about 4,000 years ago by the Babylonians who made pledges during the new year to their gods. They believed that if they kept these pledges by the end of the year, their gods would be appeased. Overtime, these resolutions have evolved to become what they are today. 

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defined a New Year’s resolution as, “a promise to do something differently in the new year.” People nowadays view a New Year’s resolution as a goal for the upcoming  year to improve themselves or their environment. Modern New Year’s resolutions that are commonly heard are: eating healthier, spending less money and exercising more. Oftentimes, people don’t follow these resolutions too tightly, or they give up on them by the end of January. Honestly, if I hadn’t written out my resolutions from the last New Year, I probably wouldn’t remember what they were.

The tradition of creating a New Year’s resolution is becoming less popular and important to many individuals. However, creating a resolution or a goal for the new year can inspire and excite people as they go into it. Setting personal goals is important in the process of self growth, and personally, achieving my goals makes me feel productive. 

“Making New Year’s resolutions gives me something to look forward to for the new year and when I complete my goal I feel accomplished,” said freshman Marissa Delgado. 

As high schoolers, it is especially important to set New Year’s resolutions. These aspirations can help students motivate themselves to get through the rest of the school year. It’s also beneficial because it helps high school students get into the habit of making and striving to achieve their goals, which will guide them to success in their future outside of high school.  

“New Year’s resolutions can help me to reset and feel good about starting a new year,” said freshman Amalia Tejada.

The new year can bring changes in all aspects of life. With the chaos of the holidays and coming back to school after break, setting and following a goal is important to get back into a routine. While staying up late with friends and family on New Year’s Eve is fun, it’s important to not lose sight of the opportunities for change that the new year will bring.