The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

Student Spotlight: MT Senior Alicia Blanco Shares Their Talent for Spoken Word Poetry

Alicia Blanco.
Alicia Blanco.

When someone mentions poetry, what do you imagine? A Shakespearen sonnet? A symbolic proclamation of love following a simple rhyme scheme? Poetry is a seemingly undefinable art form that allows a writer to express their love, grievance, anger, joy… it’s a way to share a passion in ways that other forms of writing can not always compare to.

In early history, prior to any written language, poetry was often seen in religion through prayers, songs or chants. Ever since, it has been a method to provoke thought about human nature. 

Like all aspects of society, the writing and reading of poetry have developed greatly over time. In the late 1950s a new type of poetry developed: spoken word poetry. This concept was revolutionized by the American Beat Poet Movement, a group of writers who sought to reject formal literacy and embrace and explore cultures and authenticity. 

Spoken word poetry, like all forms of poetry, is hard to define. At the surface, it’s poetry written to be performed, but the concept is much deeper than that. 

“Spoken word is a powerful way of bringing words to life through performance and sharing your experiences with others,” said senior Alicia Blanco. 

Blanco is an experienced spoken word performer who has gotten the opportunity to perform and share their poems not only at school events such as the annual Women in Leadership conference, but also for hundreds of people outside of the high school. Most notably, this last January they were given the opportunity to speak at the 36th annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast for more than 650 people. 

“The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast is an annual event that pays tribute to the enduring legacy of one of the most iconic figures in American history. This event brings hundreds of people from all over the community together to reinspire a call to action of unity and equality,” Blanco said. 

Evita Colon, Lancaster’s Inaugural Poet Laureate and owner of A Concrete Rose, reached out to Blanco and asked them if they would speak at this event. One of the focuses of this year’s breakfast was to inspire young people to speak out and understand the power of their voice and their words. 

Blanco felt both overwhelmed and exhilarated. They knew that their family was there for them, supporting them as always. They explained that performing a personal poem in front of 650 people was by no means an easy task. However, once they began their poem they found a sense of comfort. 

“I knew that what I was speaking about was far more important than my nerves,” said Blanco. “Being able to engage an audience in song and have a standing ovation was definitely a surreal moment for me and just reminded me that I love what words can do to inspire change.”

This opportunity has opened the doors for Blanco to share their story with even more people through having the opportunity to speak on the radio. By having the chance to speak to whoever chose to tune in, they were able to share more of their personal stories including more intimate details like the sacrifices their mother and grandmother had to face to get them to where they are today and explore so many exciting opportunities. 

“I loved being able to offer a little bit of advice to people my age about why their voice is important and how to look for spaces around you where your voice will be uplifted,” Blanco said. 

Blanco continues to write and perform and with each word they hope to inspire voices, young and old, to speak up and tell the world their story. 

“Most importantly, I think it is about sharing what means most to you in the world,” they said.