Winter Sports Come to an End: Here Were the Highlights

Photo Credit: Jamie Stevens. The swim team cheers for a relay as it finishes.

As another winter season for MT athletics draws to a close, the Blue Streaks have continued a legacy of dominance.

Boys basketball faced some strong competition, but managed to finish with a 5-5 section record. This year, the team was led by team captains Caden Young, Bennett Parmer and Sebastian Henson, who helped bring the team to an 8-14 record overall.

Girls basketball had an exciting season. Led by new head coach Devonne Pinkard, the girls started the season with a 56-36 win over Conestoga Valley, and their success only continued. They finished second in the section with an 8-2 record and a 20-7 record overall. Despite losing to Central Dauphin in districts, the Blue Streaks had a earned a berth in the state playoffs following a win over York High in the District Three 6A consolation semifinals. MT fell to Perkiomen Valley in the state tournament. This year, senior Ava Byrne joined the 1,000 point club during a 41-39 win over Ephrata.

After losing several seniors vital to last year’s state title success, the MT Bowling team faced an uphill battle. Yet they succeeded in winning the section in a close final match against Hempfield to earn a 60-31 record and make it to regionals where the team ended its season. This year the team also had some tremendous individual success with two top 10 finishes at the L-L league singles, Hope Broich (fourth – girls) and Bethany Jaquith (sixth – girls).

Rifle finished the year with an 8-6 record. This year the team was led by captains Michael Zimmerman, Anisa Matson, Marianthi Saxinger and Jackson Adams, as well as quartermaster Ian Labrasca. After a strong team season, Adams, Gretchen Fahrney, Ava Culbertson, Matson, Zimmerman and Jeremy Car had the opportunity to move onto the individual League competition. The Blue Streaks also included two L-L League All-Stars: Adams and Fahrney.

Swimming and diving continued its lengthy legacy of success. This year the boys finished second to Hempfield in the league with a 4-1 record, and maintained a 7-1 record overall. The girls were undefeated in league matchups this season, successfully obtaining both the section and league trophies. The year also included a school-record-breaking swim by Emilie Mosner in the 100 breaststroke. At the district level, all three girls relays medaled including Adora Emuwa, Adrianna Anujin, Grace Welsh, Mosner, Cami Schwartz, Emerson Mandrell and Anna Sassaman. Individual district medalists also included Schwartz (second – 200 IM and second – 100 breaststroke), Mosner (third – 100 breaststroke), Cole Stevens (fourth – 100 back and fifth – 200 free), and Emuwa (fifth – 50 free). Overall the girls placed fourth at the district level. Mosner, Schwartz, and Stevens will be gunning for more hardwear at states Wednesday and Thursday.

Wrestling finished the league with a 4-3 record and an 8-7 record overall. The season this year had several firsts, including a new Girls Wrestling team for MT. Boys wrestler Kaedyn Williams reached 100 career wins and became a four-time league champion, the seventh ever in league history. The team brought in lots of additional hardware at leagues with Williams (first), Yenyia Terry (first), Ainsley Bounds (second), Bella Baccio (third), Laila Colon (third), Kylie Corradino (third), Anthony Cummons (third), Bella Valudes (third), Louis Malave (fourth), and Leighton Underwood (sixth). After successes at the following district and regional competitions, Williams, Baccio and Bounds looked on to the state competition at the Giant Center in Hershey. At the state level, Williams took third (114 lbs) and Baccio took seventh (112 lbs), closing out a successful season.

Unified Bocce had an exciting first year with Team 1 winning the section and both Team 1 and Team 2 earning a place at the regional competition. Both teams moved onto regional championships at PSU Schuylkill where the Streaks went 2-1, finishing fifth and losing to the eventual champs in the opening by match by an 8-6 score. The team looks to repeat its success next year.

Winter track had a successful winter season, preparing for spring track. The team competed at a number of invitationals, including the Armory Invitational in New York City where the boys sprinter medley relay finished fourth. The team looks forward with high hopes for the spring.

Photo Credit: Robin Shugarts. Girls track.
Photo Credit: Robin Shugarts. Boys track.