Swimming for Success: The Swim Team Breaks Records This Season

During the winter sports season, the MT swim team gave it their all competing against several other school districts. They defeated several neighboring schools including Cedar Crest, Penn Manor and Warwick to advance to leagues. 

“They were driven and meant to be successful this year,” MT swim coach Dan Graybill said. “They had motivation and worked hard.” 

One of the highlights from the season was that the Girls’ 200 Medley Relay record set in 1995 was broken on the Jan. 25 home meet against Hempfield.

The record was broken by the following girl swimmers: Emerson Mandrell (backstroke), Emilie Mosner (breaststroke), Cami Schwartz (butterfly) and Adora Emuwa (freestyle).

“I didn’t realize we broke it at first until we talked to our coaches and we were so excited! I didn’t even know it was the longest record on the board either—it was so exciting,” said Mosner, a senior. “We all went crazy and it just made us super optimistic for the rest of our season.” 

“There were so many good seniors and a really good freshman class as well as a strong sophomore and junior group,” said Graybill. “The confluence of all of them stood out throughout the season.” 

At the Lancaster-Lebanon League meet at Wilson, the girls took home both the section and league trophies with 250 points, 81 ahead of Ephrata.

The boys took third place overall at leagues, and also qualified for districts. 

The District 3 Championships will be held on March 1 and 2 at Cumberland Valley High School. 

“There are a lot of outstanding schools at districts. My hope is that girls get top six and boys in top eight,” said Graybill. 

MT will compete against other teams at districts including Chambersburg, Wilson, Hershey and Cumberland Valley. 

“Congratulations on a wonderful season, it was a wonderful group of kids, they were fun to coach. They worked hard and never complained, it was a very special group.” said Graybill.