The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Best Study Strategies to Help With Your Midterms This Year

Midterms are just around the corner. For some students, that means stressful nights full of worry. Yet including these five simple studying strategies into your planning can remove this worry and set you on a path to success.

#1 Sleep

Though commonly overlooked, getting a good night’s rest is key to good recall on exams, according to a study done by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The study showed that well-rested students performed better on their assignments. Only getting adequate sleep the night before was not significant in good recollection. Rather, several nights of consecutively long sleep periods is required. So as you are preparing for your midterms, be sure to get plenty of sleep leading up to the big days in order to be well prepared and remember your studying.

#2 Study Groups

For some, individual studying is not very effective. It can be easy to lose focus and drive when studying alone. A study group can be an effective strategy as it provides accountability and support, according to the University of of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Students can become more prepared both by knowing that others are relying on them and interacting with others about confusing material. Study groups can be a great way for you to prepare when lacking motivation.

#3 Look Over Notes

Looking over a semester’s worth of notes can feel tiresome. Yet a study by Kenneth Kiewra, a professor of developmental & learning sciences at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, shows that reviewing notes is beneficial to success. So despite the tiresome length it involves, reviewing your notes from the semester is proven to be effective.

#4 Read Notes Aloud

For auditory learners, this strategy could be a good way to study. Rather than simply reading over notes for review, saying them out loud can help cement them in a student’s memory. Proven by the “production effect” found by Colin Macleod, a psychologist from the University of Waterloo, this strategy serves as another method for better preparation for midterms.

#5 Take Breaks

Lots of studying is great, but doing it all in a large chunk of time can actually be less effective. Taking study breaks is important to allow the brain to regenerate throughout the studying process, according to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. These breaks work best when fulfilled with creativity, movement, or nourishment. Social media is not an effective way to break up studying, as it continues to wear on the brain and impairs the regeneration process. Keep in mind this strategy to have a more fulfilling study experience.

Though not all-compassing by any means, these five study strategies can be very beneficial in midterm preparation. Others can include summarizing important notes, studying in a calm environment like the MTHS Library and looking over content-related resources like Heimler’s History, Crash Course, IXL and Khan Academy. School opportunities like Midterm Madness can also be helpful.