The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

What to Watch in 2024

Credit to: Tima Miroshnichenko https://www.pexels.com/photo/red-chairs-in-the-cinema-7991381/ No changes made

2023 has already been an exceptional year for movie-goers. With the recent releases of “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” and “Priscilla,” going to the movies has become a very popular activity, and the expectations are high for what is to come.

Here are some upcoming films to look out for:

“Wonka”

Dec. 15, 2023

This upcoming musical fantasy film is based on the character of Willy Wonka in the massively popular “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” “Wonka” tells his origin story and includes his early days of being an extraordinary inventor and chocolatier. This film stars popular actor Timothee Chalamet, as well as Hugh Grant and Olivia Colman.

“Anybody But You”

Dec. 22, 2023

In the new romantic comedy “Anybody But You,” Bea (Sydney Sweeney) and Ben (Glen Powell) play the perfect couple. Their relationship takes a turn for the worst after their magical first date. The two end up meeting again unexpectedly and attend a destination wedding in Australia as a “pretend couple.” The movie is said to be a modern adaptation of William Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing,” much like rom-coms “Clueless” and “10 Things I Hate About You” that are also based on Shakespeare’s work.

“Mean Girls”

Jan. 12, 2024

The new “Mean Girls” film is a musical comedy based on the Broadway musical version of the original 2000s rom-com. The movie follows the story of high school student Cady Heron, with musical ballads and broadway dance sequences throughout. Starring Reneé Rapp as Regina George, who played her on Broadway, the movie is perfect for musical-theater lovers all around the world.

“It Ends With Us”

Feb. 9, 2024

Based on the best-selling Colleen Hoover book “It Ends With Us,” this movie explores Lily Bloom’s romance with Ryle Kincaid as complications from her past arise. Starring Blake Lively as Bloom, Justin Baldoni as Kincaid, and Brandon Sklenar as her high school boyfriend Atlas, the movie is perfect for rom-com and book lovers alike. 

“The Thundermans Return”

March 2024

This movie is based on the popular Nickelodeon TV show “The Thundermans” about a superhero family. The movie will star many of the original cast members 10 years later, including Kira Kosarin and Jack Grisso.

“Damsel”

March 8, 2024

“Damsel” stars “Stranger Things” actress Millie Bobby Brown. In this action/fantasy film, a young woman agrees to marry a handsome prince. She soon realizes that the marriage was a trap and gets thrown into a cave. She has to use her wits and her strength to escape the dangers in the cave.

“Imaginary Friends”

March 17, 2024

This movie tells the story of a girl who goes through a traumatic experience and begins to see everyone’s imaginary friends from their childhood. Starring Ryan Reynolds and John Krasinski, this movie is a comedy/fantasy.

“Inside Out 2”

June 14, 2024

“Inside Out 2” continues the story of a teenage girl named Riley as she navigates life with her complex emotions. In this sequel, new emotions include Anxiety, Envy, Embarrassment, and Ennui, a feeling of boredom and weariness. Anxiety will be voiced by the “Stranger Things” actress Maya Hawke.

“Joker: Folie á Deux”

Oct. 4, 2024

This new Joker movie will be the sequel to the 2019 film starring Joaquin Phoenix. The new movie will also feature Lady Gaga as the new Harley Quinn. Joker is a former party clown and stand-up comedian, who is ignored and disregarded from society. This causes him to become the famous criminal with a clown persona that originated in the DC comic “Batman.”

“Wicked”

Nov. 27, 2024

“Wicked” is based on the Broadway musical and is an alternate look at the classic film “The Wizard of Oz,” telling the origin stories of Elphaba, or the Wicked Witch of the West, and her opposite, Glinda the Good Witch. This movie musical will star Cynthia Erivo as Elphaba and Ariana Grande as Glinda.

View Comments (1)