Get to Know Your Principals: Mrs. Lyons

Mrs. Lyons
Mrs. Lyons

Although our four Principals are some of the most important people at the high school, not many students know much about them. In this series of Get to Know Your Principals, we will be interviewing our high school principals so that students can feel more connected to their administrators. This article highlights Mrs. Lisa Lyons, who has been a big part of our school for 24 years! 

There are four principals at the high school. Would you mind describing for me what your specific roles are? 

With Mr. Rilatt out for a bit of time, our roles have changed this year. I currently oversee the daily operations of the building. This includes the supervision of teachers and students, creating the building budget, comprehensive planning, safety and security, IEP/GIEP/504 meetings, and scheduling, which are the big pieces to my role.

How long have you been a principal at the high school? 

This is my fifth year as a principal at the high school. 

What made you want to be a principal? 

I have been in this high school as a teacher and now administrator for 24 years. I moved into the principal role because I wanted to be able to make a difference on a larger scale than just with the students in my math classes. I also wanted to be able to work closely with teachers to offer resources and feedback to help them hone in on their skills.

If you couldn’t be a principal, what job would you want to have? 

If I couldn’t be a principal, I would be in the classroom teaching Math and Computer Science.

What’s your favorite part of the job? 

I love interacting with students and teachers. I like being a sounding board, offering a supportive environment to work out concerns, develop plans, and see those plans through to fruition.

What are some of your hobbies?

I love everything about the outdoors.

What is one thing you regret from high school? 

I am not sure if I really have any regrets from high school. Maybe I could have taken more time to enjoy the experience.

What was your favorite part of high school? 

My favorite part of high school was the teachers that I had the honor to learn from each day. I went into education because I had teachers that believed in me, shared interests, and pushed me to succeed. It may not have always been easy, but every experience made me the educator I am today.