A Record Season for MTFH

Mandy Culbertson
MTFH Seniors Top row (left to right): Gabrielle Romano, Aubrey Barotti, Keira Robinson, Calli Campagna, Nia Mountis, Brenna Campagna, Abby Labezius Bottom row (left to right): Kristen Nam, Zoe Caloviras, Summer Strauss

One for the record books. MT’s varsity field hockey team saw many firsts for the program this season, including a Lancaster-Lebanon League Championship, District III AAA Championship, and a runner-up finish in the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association State Championship. The team finished with a 25-2-1 record and scored 116 goals while only allowing 21 goals. They were also undefeated in home games. 

On Aug. 28, the Blue Streaks kicked their year off with a 13-0 win against non-conference opponent Central York. They would continue to win throughout the regular season, posting a 7-1-0 record in league play en route to a Section 1 title. Their schedule included a number of games against nationally-ranked opponents, including a 2-1 win against No. 14 Hershey, a 2-2 tie against No. 5 Palmyra, and a close 4-3 loss to No. 23 Penn Manor, which was followed by a 2-0 win two weeks later against the Comets. The team also claimed a 3-2 victory over Boyertown on Sept. 30, which was Senior Day. 

In the postseason, MTFH went 8-1 in all competitions, accumulating a combined score of 31-6 and nearly beating state-ranked No. 1 Emmaus in the state championship. Two of its district games were decided in overtime, with game-winners from junior Sarah Ebersole against Penn Manor in the district semifinals and sophomore Rhylee Givens against Lower Dauphin in the district championship. 

Their historic season led to a finish as the eighth-ranked high school field hockey team in the nation, according to MAX Field Hockey, after entering the preseason unranked in the weekly top 25. Of the state schools on the list, Township ranked fourth, only behind Emmaus (fifth), PAISAA state runner-up The Hill School (third), and PAISAA state champion Academy of Notre Dame de Namur (first). 

Along with the many team accolades were some individual awards, as several MTFH players were recognized at the League All-Star Banquet on Nov. 16. First team league all-stars included junior Brooke Weaver, senior Brenna Campagna, senior Calli Campagna, junior Gracie Clawson, senior Zoe Caloviras and freshman Julia Weaver. Second team league all-stars were Ebersole and Givens. The All-League Team included three MTFH members: Weaver, Brenna Campagna and  Clawson. Also awarded were the Academic All-Stars, which included seniors Aubrey Barotti, Brenna Campagna, Calli Campagna, Abby Labezius and Summer Strauss. 

On Nov. 21, Brenna Campagna and Weaver were also named to the NFHCA (National Field Hockey Coaches Association) All-Region team for the region of Pennsylvania. Campagna was given first team honors and Weaver was given second team honors. 

“We had an incredible, record-breaking season, which came as a result of all of our hard work throughout the season. I think all the time we spent together not only strengthened our skills and our abilities, but also our connections to one another, which helped us on the field,” said Ebersole. “I believe that this year was just the springboard for our program and hopefully we can continue our success in the years to come.”