The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

A Tribute to River Olmsted

River+Olmsted
River Olmsted

On October 16, 2023 senior River Olmstead passed away. River was a new student this year and highly involved in MT’s musical programs through singing in choir and playing the French horn. To honor their life, here is a collection of quotes from students and staff who knew them. 

“River sat right next to me in my AP Music Theory class. I always noticed a lighter feeling in class when they were there. They had a gorgeous singing voice and basically knew everything before it was taught to us. They always had a smile on their face and was never negative in any way. I’d had a few small conversations with them and really started to get to know them. They really were a beautiful person inside and out, and I really wish I could have become good friends with them. They had the coolest style and wasn’t afraid to be who they are and that to me just shows so much about them.”

-Quinn Heller, senior 

“I know that River had a huge heart for music and a dedication and talent I had never seen before. They were no doubt one of the most talented horn players I ever met. One thing that has brought me comfort the past few weeks is knowing that one of the last things River did was share their love for playing and singing at the choir and band concert. Seeing their love for music makes me want to become the best musician I can be, just like they were.”

-Abby Piper, senior 

“River was honestly just an amazing person and a great musician who was super passionate about everything they did.”

-Brayden Minnick, senior 

“I will forever be grateful to have lived only a few houses down from River. River was my first friend in my neighborhood and my first friend at Township. I have an endless number of memories with River from elementary school and neighborhood gatherings, but the one I treasure the most revolves around a small rock. At a neighborhood party a few years ago, River and I were sitting together and talking alongside our parents and the rest of our neighbors. The conversation was jumping all around, as all conversations with River went, and we picked up a rock and both decided that this rock deserved a name. The only name that made any sense at all to River and I was Meatball. Meatball the rock. As the night was coming to an end and neighbors began saying goodnight, River promised me something. They told me that they would go home and put Meatball in a safe place in their room and promised not to misplace our precious rock. I remember thinking that this was a shared custody agreement and that did not seem fair to me. So then River said that they would keep Meatball only up until the time I leave for college, and with that, I agreed. Now I ended up getting Meatball back earlier than I expected or wanted, but I am so very grateful to have this rock along with a sweet handwritten note by my truly amazing friend and co-parent.”

-Emma Adams, senior 

River was here for a month and a half. They were enrolled in our AP music theory class, and they loved music. Their eyes lit up as they sang and learned new things with melody, harmony, and rhythm. You could see the musical gears turning and the joy when it came to music. Music was very natural to them and they were an absolute delight. To have someone who had some much joy was delightful, and to have that not in the classroom anymore has been difficult.”

-Mr. Schlosser, AP music theory teacher

View Comments (1)