Three MT Sports Competed in District III Finals On Saturday Nov. 7

Boy soccer during their districts game

On Saturday, Nov. 7, three MT sports teams—boys and girls soccer and field hockey—competed in the District III Finals for the first time in the athletic program’s history. 

Boys soccer was defeated by Cumberland Valley in a close game with a final score of 1-0. Cumberland Valley’s goal was scored in the 53rd minute of the game. 

“Playing in the district final was definitely a surreal moment due to my class being freshmen on the 2020 team that had to forfeit the final due to COVID-19,” senior Nick McMasters said. “Bringing the program back to that spotlight definitely checked off a box of goals we had as a senior class.”

Girls soccer was also declared a runner up for the District III title in their game against Central Dauphin. The game was scoreless throughout both the first and second halves until overtime when Central Dauphin broke the tie. 

“Although it wasn’t the outcome we expected, leading up to the game was really fun and exciting,” sophomore Regan Taylor said. “During the game it was back and forth and overall an interesting game to both play and watch. The crowd was invested and the atmosphere was very upbeat and exciting.”

On the other hand, field hockey won the District III Championship title in their game against Lower Dauphin. The final score was 2-1 with goals by Julia Weaver and Rhylee Givens. 

“I felt like we dominated the game with how many opportunities we had on offense, and that the outcome just showed who wanted to win more,” said junior Rose Montgomery. “Both us and Lower Dauphin are of similar ability, so the game was dependent on who wanted the title more. It felt so special to be a part of the first team of MT field hockey to win a district title, because our last appearance in the district final game was in 1972.”

Congratulations to these teams, coaches and players for their hard work and dedication throughout the season.