MT Junior Cole Stevens Coordinates the Be Fast Stroke Awareness Meet

This year, a new addition will be made to the numerous fundraisers that happen at MT. The Be Fast Stroke Awareness Meet will be held for the first time ever at the track of Gene Kruis Field on Nov. 11. An all-day event starting at 10 a.m., the fundraiser will showcase track races throughout the day.

The races are available for any one to sign up for, and include such track events as the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1000, 1600 and a 5000. The 1600 and 5000 are only available for ages 12 and up. As of Friday, Nov 10, the event has 137 sign ups, but more are encouraged. The cost is $15 for participation with no limit to the number of events that can be entered, and an additional $20 for a shirt. Spectating is free. All proceeds will be donated to Lancaster General Health (LGH) and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) to help cover the costs of stroke patients. 

Anyone who cannot attend but would still like to help can access information on the meet’s website for extra donations. All other information pertaining to the meet as well as the sign up can be found on this website, PA MileSplit, or the Instagram page

The meet was started by MT junior Cole Stevens, a three-sport athlete in cross country, swimming, and track. Last fall, his mother, who was also the XC team’s assistant coach, suffered a stroke during the middle of season. The team lost one of their coaches, but more importantly, the Stevens family was without a mother for a brief period of time. This made daily tasks like transportation and meals very difficult for Stevens and his siblings. Fortunately, others helped them and his mother’s recovery was quick. 

After this event, Stevens wanted to do something to shed light on the difficulties of dealing with a stroke. But creating a fundraiser is not as easy as it seems. 

Stevens was required to get multiple forms and papers signed by the track booster club and by MT track head coach Robin Shugarts. After the papers were completed, both the school and the district had to approve of them before the track meet could become official. 

“The process of creating [the event] was kind of tough,” Stevens said. “I don’t know where we would be with all of [Coach Shugarts’] help.” 

After the long process of getting the meet approved, word was spread through announcements on social media and through the XC team. Now just one day away from kicking off, the meet is almost all prepared with heat lists for each event. Through all of the runners participating and the attention garnered over time, $5,460 has been raised by the meet.