MT Welcomes Its First Ever Girls Golf Team

From left to right: Coach Seibel, Abby Kelly, Alana Cristino, Caitlyn White, Piper Smith, Paisley Kappesser, and Sonia Dumasia

This school year marks a historic moment for MT High School as it welcomes its first-ever girls’ golf team. The MTHS golf team was originally co-ed, but the girls recognized the need to “provide more opportunities for girls to play competitive golf,” said freshman player Sonia Dumasia. 

“We wanted the equal opportunity that the guys had to play golf,” junior player Alana Cristino also claimed. 

The girls first devised the idea of a separate team a year ago, and it gained more momentum over the summer before the start of this school year. When the girls first presented the idea to the school board in August, “they were all for it,” according to Cristino. However, the school board needed time to gather the resources to facilitate the creation of the team, such as where they would practice and who the new coaching staff would be. Once it was decided that they would practice at the Overlook golf course and MT high school teacher Mrs. Maci Seibel would coach, the team was ready to be finalized. Soon enough, with the dedication of players, parents, coaches, and the athletic director Mr. Tim Hollenback, the team was approved by the school board on September 21.

The players on the team currently include juniors Paisley Kappesser, Abby Kelly, and Alana Cristino; sophomores Piper Smith and Caitlyn White; and freshman Sonia Dumasia. The girls have had a very successful season with their accomplishments of winning the District 3 AAA Championship, and three of the players—Smith, Dumasia, and Kappesser—qualifying for states. At states, the girls finished runner-up, and Kappesser stated she “felt really good” about their performance at states and that they’re “eager to come back again next year—hopefully as champs.”

All of the girls were very excited about their feats and hope the team continues to grow while not just winning more golf titles for the school—but girls’ golf titles.