The Student News Site of Manheim Township High School

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

The Township Times

Something Rotten: A Review of the Fulton Success

From the moment the lights lit up the stage, The Fulton Theater’s “Something Rotten!” filled the audience with laughter and left us with a craving for an omelet.

The Fulton Theater rarely fails to put on a fantastic production, and “Something Rotten!” did not fall short. Whether a frequent theatergoer or a first time audience member, “Something Rotten!” had something for everyone to enjoy. 

The story follows the Bottom brothers, two renaissance playwrights who spend much of the show searching for the idea that will launch them into stardom. Brother Nick, played by Bryant Martin, is the main protagonist of the story as he encounters a sleuth of eccentric side characters who progress his journey. Very early in the show, we are briefly exposed to a very flamboyant and arrogant William Shakespeare, and Nick’s deep hatred for him. The brewing anger of Shakespeare’s popularity leads us to a comical number titled, “God, I Hate Shakespeare”, sung by none other than Nick Bottom. 

During this song we learn that Nick’s brother, Nigel, does not share a deep hatred for Shakespeare like his brother. Nigel, played by Daniel Plimpton, has a passion for poetry and is much more concerned about writing from the heart than about being a great success. 

Plimpton puts on a heart warming performance as the loveable character of Nigel. His portrayal of the character felt very real and through the entire show it was very easy to root for him and his passions. His vocal performance was clean and his comedic timing was always on point. 

When Nick and Nigel return home, we meet Bea, Nick’s wife. Bea, played by Luck Godinez, was an absolute show stopper. Her solo, “Right Hand Man”, was a strikingly powerful number full of character. Her sass and energy was unmatched and her persistence through proving she could do anything a man can do was nothing less than inspiring. Godinez delivered an exceptional performance as Bea as she did what she could to go against the grain and provide for her family. 

In Nick Bottom’s attempt to rise above Shakespeare, he goes to see a town soothsayer, Nostradamus, played by Blake Hammond. When asked what the next big thing is going to be in the world of theater, Nostradamus breaks into an extended musical number, “A Musical”, explaining his visions of future theaters being filled with song and dance. This number was not only incredible in its choreography, but it cleverly weaves in references from a large number of famous Broadway productions, including “Rent”, “Cats”, “A Chorus Line”, and many more. “A Musical”, fully encompassed the magic of live theater and the beauty that lies on the stage. 

Through all of Nick’s schemes to obtain great success, Nigel meets a young Puritan girl named Portia. Portia, played by Carolyn Anne Miller, has a deep love for poetry, as does Nigel allowing them to quickly develop feelings for each other which continues to develop through the show. 

In the very beginning of the show, Shakespeare is not a prominent character. He makes a few appearances and is discussed often, but it isn’t until the number “Will Power” that Shakespeare is fully introduced. This show’s Shakespeare is not who you would expect. Instead of a quiet poet, Tyler Hanes delivered an electrifying performance of Shakespere as a larger than life, flamboyant, arrogant man of high status. Everytime he came onto the stage, the audience enjoyed/experienced/faced intense confidence and arrogance. Shakespeare is a larger than life character, and Hanes executed the role perfectly while throwing in his own unique flair in every step. 

As the story progresses, Nick becomes so obsessed with the idea of beating Shakespeare that he begins to spiral out of control. While Bea is working hard to provide for the family and Nigel continues to write quality poems from the heart, Nick goes back to Nostradamus, gives him all of the family’s savings, and asks him what Shakespeare’s next hit will be. In classic comedic fashion, Nostadamus misunderstands Shakespeare’s play “Hamlet” and exclaims that Shakespeare’s next big hit is going to be a musical titled Omelet. 

The rest of the musical follows Nick as he writes and rehearses the musical Omelet. Simultaneously, Nigel tries to convince Nick to do a show that is authentic, but Nick cannot be convinced. Shakespeare also hears about Nick’s schemes to overcome him by talking to a Soothsayer. In reply he disguises himself as an actor, becomes a part of the musical, and ends up stealing Nigels original content when Nigel reads it out to the group of actors. 

The craziness of this show ends with a hilarious production of the show Omelet as girls dressed as hatching eggs, references to “The Lion King”, and so much more eccentricity. 

Everything finishes positive in the end as Nick gets exposed for cheating his way to the top and using shady tactics, which sends him, his family, and the people who helped him along the way to the new lands of America. 

Throughout the entire show, the ensemble numbers were entertaining and clean. There was a surplus of impressive tap numbers and an unexpected mix of classy jazz and spontaneous hip hop. 

Whether looking at costumes or sets, the show certainly goes against what is expected. When the show opens, it seems as though the show is going to be composed of classic Renaissance age costumes and sets. That is until Shakespere flaunts onto the stage wearing a full leather outfit, a face full of punk makeup, and a very extreme spiked collar. Because of all the unexpected twists and turns, the show felt fresh and unlike anything the Fulton has brought to life on the stage. 

The Fulton Theater’s “Something Rotten!” was an incredible start to the 2023-2024 season. Not only was it filled with farcical characters and events, but it also encapsulated the joy of a musical and how incredible the world of theater truly is.

View Comments (1)