The benefits of IB

Maddie Balestier

The deadline for sophomores to submit their applications for the International Baccalaureate (IB) program is fast approaching. Due December 15, these applications are the first step in entering a two-year program that teaches students how to become better writers, critical thinkers, and more global-minded people.

The IB diploma enables students “to take ownership in their own learning and help them develop future-ready skills to make a difference and thrive in a world that changes fast,” according to the organization’s website.

The program’s many benefits, such as discussion mastery or interpersonal skills, attract a wide variety of students every year.

“What attracted me about IB was not only the emphasis on writing and humanities, but also [how] you look at things from so many angles,” junior Diego Landaverde said.

The program’s global focus also draws students in, offering a different curriculum that can be helpful for certain career paths. “After high school I hope to pursue international relations, so I knew that IB was going to be a great way to set a foundation for that,” senior Mia Ribich commented.

The writing and discussion skills offered by the program are an asset that can make a huge difference in students’ experiences going into college and the workforce. They are what make the IB program especially unique.

“[The IB program] has taught me a formula to writing and how to word myself the way I want when I speak. I think that those two things are an incredible benefit that I wouldn’t have gotten otherwise,” said senior Lynn Hobbs. Hobbs, who was a previously quiet and reserved person before entering the program, came out of her junior year much more outgoing, with a passion and desire to engage in discussion.

In IB classes, multiple choice tests are replaced by short answers or long essays, encouraging students to learn how to voice themselves and their ideas properly through words. Even in classes like math and science, writing still plays a huge role in the curriculum, requiring students to not only explain the how but also the why.

The diploma places great emphasis on student led discussions and sharing ideas with one another as well. “It’s really nice to be able to discuss something that you like with the whole class—you basically get to be the teacher for a day,” says Landaverde.

All this talk of writing and discussion may make the IB program seem like it’s only for humanities-based students, but the diploma can also be a great step for STEM students to take as well.

“If you’re very STEM oriented, there are different pathways you can take while still getting that humanities experience,” says Landaverde. Students can take higher level science classes, such as IB bio and IB physics, while still taking higher level English classes at the same time.

According to Dr. Penner, the IB coordinator at the high school, many of their students are interested in STEM and go on into engineering, math, science, and tech related fields.

When considering entering the program, a common question is how colleges view the program and if a diploma is effective when applying to schools.

One benefit of the IB diploma after high school is that it allows students to study abroad in other countries because the IB is a global program.

The diploma is also typically looked upon favorably by colleges. “IB is highly regarded, and IB graduates are sought after. Some colleges offer particular scholarships for IB students,” says Dr. Penner. “Colleges typically award college credit for work students have done in high school, so it can give students advantages when they’re applying and once they’re on campus.”

Although there are some schools that do not accept IB credits, many colleges take a student’s IB classes into consideration. Ribich recalls a friend who graduated from American University a semester early because of her IB credits.

Either way, “don’t go into it looking for college credit, look for an understanding of what college coursework looks like,” Hobbs said. College credit can be a great advantage of the IB program, but even if a college doesn’t accept the credits, so much can still be learned from the program, such as how to deal with college-level work.

Another important thing to note about the IB program is the workload and difficulty of the homework. The courses are weighted 1.1 (the same as AP), which is the most rigorous GPA weight that is offered at the high school. Despite the difficulty of the workload, however, it is very doable with the assistance of the faculty and staff.

“It does take some commitment from students. But as a teacher team, we work together to keep it manageable and to try to support students who are going through it,” says Dr. Penner.

When comparing IB and AP, the main difference seems to be the greater emphasis on writing and discussion that isn’t as much of a priority in AP. The IB program also consists of outside work, such as the CAS (Creativity, Action, and Service) project, along with in-school assignments, which is something AP classes don’t have.

“I think both definitely have advantages. If you’re looking to really specialize in one certain thing, then it might be more valuable for you to just take that AP class and then maybe take lighter courses. But if you’re not totally sure what you want to do, or you’re just looking for a more holistic education, then I think IB could be really good,” junior Alison Penner said.

So how should someone decide if IB is right for them? Dr. Penner offers some guidance for students on the fence.

“I think you have to be interested in taking upper-level courses in all disciplines, not just one particular area. Not everyone is great at everything, but you have to be ready to challenge yourself in the areas that you’re comfortable in and the areas that are more of a challenge for you,” he says.

The main goal of the IB diploma program is to provide students with rigorous classes that teach them the importance of international perspectives, critical thinking, writing, and initiative.

As Hobbs says, “It’s an incredibly difficult experience, but one that has proven itself to be completely worth it.”