Be a role model, get a role model

How MTHS students are modeling good behavior for the next generation

Maddie Balestier

Some students have a role model, someone who inspires them to do good and be the best person they can. But students themselves can also be role models for their younger peers. There are lots of activities that students can get involved in to help a younger student out and show them the way. 

Senior Molly Dieterle is involved in Link Crew at MT, where she helps freshmen adapt to the high school. “For every other advisory for Link Crew, I talk to the freshmen and they can ask questions, and I check in to see how the year is going,” says Dieterle. 

There are many ways older kids can make connections with younger students throughout the school. Even just talking to a younger person can make an impact on their life.

Other ways students serve as role models are through babysitting, organizations like Girls on the Run, and sports teams that might have younger age groups. 

Freshman Anna Burrowes, a member of the Skyline swim team during the summer, believes that even helping out with younger kids’ practices can be fulfilling. “By helping with all the younger practices, you get to make those connections with the kids and set an example,” she says.

Doing a sport with younger age groups and helping out with the practices not only helps kids develop their skills, but also creates inspiring role models for them. 

Multiple students agreed that it is very important for all people to have role models, especially younger kids. A role model sets an example and shows younger people what they can accomplish in their future. When children see an older student completing high school, or going to college, it may inspire them to try to strive for the same accomplishments.

“Having a role model teaches kids how to have connections with kids older than them, and it gives them life skills and shows them how they can be in their future,” says Burrowes. 

Not only do role models inspire kids to try their best, but they also teach kids how to have connections with older kids, which are crucial to developing lasting relationships later in life. 

But role models don’t necessarily have to be older kids. “I have people younger than me that are role models, too,” says sophomore Alex Benson, who is the junior Girls on the Run coach this fall. “There are little girls that are super positive, and I consider them [role models] because I hope to be as positive and as kind as them.” 

A role model just has to be someone that is inspiring to others and demonstrates positive qualities. This means that all people, young or old, can be an inspiration for others.

Whether older students realize it or not, younger kids’ eyes are always watching them, so it’s important that they model the best qualities of themselves all the time. 

“You have to watch what you say because it will impact them,” says Benson. If a role model was to say, “I can’t do this,” the kids might start saying that to themselves. Younger kids will actually listen, and if a role model starts saying negative things, they’ll start doing the same.

So, having a role model is definitely beneficial for kids, and students recognize the importance of being one. But being a role model also makes the students themselves feel good. 

“I had older sisters who helped [be a role model for me], so it makes me feel good knowing I can be that older kid for someone else,” says Dieterle.

Students like knowing the impact they can have in a kid’s life, and enjoy the fact that they are helping someone find their path. Being a role model is a small thing students can do to make the world a better place. 

For students who are interested in becoming a role model for younger students, but aren’t quite sure how, there are plenty of options. There are so many opportunities at Township that students can get involved in, like Link Crew or Key Club. Part of making these connections, however, is taking the initiative to reach out and discover these opportunities. If someone is interested in being a role model, they should take it upon themselves to take part in the community and come up with new ideas.