Opinion: There is No Correct Side in the Israel-Palestine Conflict

M
July 2023 National Military Cemetery in Jerusalem

There is nothing justifiable about murder. Horrifying, cold-blooded murder. The slaughter of innocent men and women in a rampage of blood and tears.

That is the situation that Hamas, classified by the American government as a foreign terrorist organization, has wrecked in Israel in the past few days. Based on the Palestinian state of Gaza, the conflict between Israel and Hamas is not new. According to CNBC’s article on the history of Hamas, the terror organization was formed in 1987. Hamas gained control of the Gaza Strip, around 140 square miles, in 2007. The territory notoriously packs two million people into this small area, making it one of the most densely populated areas in the world, according to a CBS article on the area. The Palestinian citizens of Gaza live in horrible conditions, enforced by Israel after Hamas refused to recognize Israel’s existence.

Tension built up to Oct. 7, when Hamas broke through the border wall and launched an aerial and ground attack on Israeli territory. In a horrifying, unprecedented situation, the two militaries have been engaged in combat and rocket strikes since that day. Significant casualties have been reported on both sides, as the Israeli “Iron Dome” missile defense system was overwhelmed by the amount of missiles fired. Israel has countered with air strikes on buildings in Gaza.

To be clear: Palestine is not the same thing as Hamas. Hamas is a terrorist group that controls the Gaza Strip. Palestinians are the people who live there or in the West Bank of the Jordan River. The situation is also not one-sided. Israel has enforced a terrible situation in Gaza with a controversial forced evacuation of Gaza City. The United Nations said the action was a violation of human rights as it is the largest city in the area. It’s unfair to think either side is entirely the correct one. To do that, people ignore the reality of the injustices committed by both sides.

This is the problem with the public’s view of the conflict. Just because a person cares about the citizens of Israel does not mean they can’t support and hope for the best in Gaza. 

Looking at the war from the big picture is an easy job, but it is much more important to look personally at the Israeli citizens. I have some friends who live in Israel, and the situation is rather personal. The things they report are terrifying.

“I personally live near some places where citizens got kidnapped, raped, and killed… so we lock the house constantly and such…also we always hear planes in the sky, and sleep in the mamad (a bunker basically),” said Madelin Deagan, a 16-year-old who lives Be’er Sheba, a city in southern-central Israel. She attended Camp Harlam, a Jewish overnight camp in the Pocono Mountains, with me in the summer of 2022. 

It is horrible that people have to live like this: constantly afraid that they may be attacked. No one deserves this.

Idan Parizer is a reserve tank soldier for the Israeli army who volunteered to fight when the attacks broke out and is also a former camp counselor of mine. His experience is similar to Deagan’s.

“What we saw shocked us: live on-air people calling the news channel that people were breaking into their houses, the news anchor helping police forces to arrive to the terrified families, videos of tanks on fire, people being kidnapped, we couldn’t believe it,” he said, also commenting that the roads on his drive to Gaza felt like a horror movie.

He was ordered to move north the next day to protect the country against potential Lebanese attacks. Parizer and his tank crew are currently training, carrying out security missions, and waiting for orders. He is stationed in Northern Israel because Hezbollah, another militant Islamic group located in Lebanon, has joined the fight against Israel.

The war is deeply personal for Parizer. 

“As more days pass, I hear about more people that I knew [who are] dead: a girl I knew from the army, a guy that was in my class in middle school, a guy I met in Bolivia during my trip earlier this year; they were all murdered,” he said. 

Parizer also comments that the spirits of Israelis are not broken and they are volunteering where they can, whether it be in the army or aiding those who have suffered at the hands of Hamas. 

“The amount of love and support I saw in the last week after this tragedy is one of the most incredible things I have seen in my life,” he said. 

He believes Israel will persevere and fight through the tragedy. 

History and personal stories aside: there is nothing good that can come from this conflict. There is no positive impact of death—especially not for thousands of people. “A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic,” is a famous quote from Joseph Stalin, the dictator who controlled communist Russia in the mid-1900s. We can not let this be true. The horrific stories from this conflict are real. Not fiction, not history, real life that is happening at this very moment. This war has already claimed over 1,000 lives. A thousand deaths means 1,000 lives destroyed, 1,000 funerals to be planned, and 1,000 people who will never come back. It is so terrifying to see what humans can do to one another.  

Only blaming one side of the issue is dangerous and reveals prejudices. People resort to horrible antisemitism or Islamophobia to distort the truth of the matter, but this war is not because of the Jews or Muslims. This a conflict between two destructive governments in which citizens of both sides can and will die. We can only hope for peace.

15
View Comments (15)