Homecoming Proposals: The Pressure is On

Gracie Clawson, Staff writer

This October, stores like Target and Michael’s must be making a fortune from craft supplies, because as homecoming creeps closer, the pressure is on. For those asking a date, it’s no longer sufficient to simply pop the question in the hallways, let alone through text. Instead, homecoming proposals have become increasingly popular. 

Often composed of a pun-filled poster board and sometimes accompanied by flowers, candy, or even a stuffed animal, these proposals require effort and planning. Sophomore Jack Commerce thinks the gesture should be tailored to someone’s passions. For a soccer player, a sign might read ‘You might score goals on the field, but can I score a date with you to HOCO?’ The ultimate goal is just to make someone feel special.

While some people open their front doors to a homecoming sign, others walk off the field or turn a corner in the hallway and are greeted by their future date. “[You have to] do what they’re comfortable with,” sophomore Ellie Comerford said. Not everyone wants an audience. “The ones in school are so bad. It’s embarrassing,” freshman Aidyn Lefever added. She believes it’s better to ask someone at their house or after a game. 

With an increase in popularity for big, thought-out homecoming asks, one question comes to mind: is it too much? Commerce says no. “It’s supposed to be cringey,” he believes. “It’s almost like a competition to see who can over-do it more than others.” Comerford agrees, saying to go big or go home. Overall, however, they both agree it depends on who is being asked. While it may seem awkward in the moment, in the end it becomes a fun memory to look back on.

Unfortunately, putting so much pressure on a perfect ask can alienate those who don’t have a date. Opening Snapchat to see an endless string of smiling couples with cute posters can be hard for people who just got out of a relationship or don’t have anyone to go with.  “That is definitely a huge downside,” Commerce said. He acknowledges that these over-the-top proposals can make people feel lonely.

In the end, there isn’t a formula for the perfect way to ask someone to homecoming. It depends on people’s preferences and what they’re comfortable with. Whether going with a date, friends, or on your own, it’s most important to remember that homecoming is a long-standing tradition meant to create a fun, memorable night for students.