Tech Trouble at Township

Addison Journey, Staff Writer

Due to the rise of cell phone and social media addictions overpowering the minds of students across the world, Manheim Township has prohibited all use of personal cellular devices during class periods. This policy demands that phones are only to be seen in between periods, at lunch, and in study halls. Previous to this year, there had been policies in place that limited the usage of cell phones in class; however, the choice to have a cell phone free classroom was in the hands of the teacher. This change from having the freedom to use phones in many classrooms to almost not at all has been a constant conversation throughout the high school. Students have found this adjustment unfair and bothersome, as a personal phone can provide entertainment, and without it days feel longer and more stressful. 

Although this adjustment is unfavorable to students, teachers in the high school feel that this policy has been an eye opening opportunity to reconnect with students in the classroom. Mr. Baker, a psychology and history teacher at the high school, has heavily adjusted his classroom dynamic since the new policy. Prior to this year, Baker had always allowed students to be on their phones because he believed it was up to the student whether or not they wanted to receive a quality education. This year, however, he explains that he made the switch to a cell phone free classroom for two different reasons. First because “students …don’t get how rude it is when you are just blatantly on your phone, no matter what the teacher is trying to do.” And also because “for some students it works really well to pop in some headphones to get work done, but for every student that that is really good for, there is a student that won’t get their work done.”

As an educator, this new policy has increased the amount of quality learning time each student receives in the classroom and also limits the frustration that comes along with seeing students looking down at their laps when someone is trying to educate them. Teachers want to teach students who want to learn, and by allowing cell phones in the classroom, students become disconnected from the classroom and only connected to their phones. 

Students, however, view this new policy more negatively, as cell phones have been an integral part of the daily life of a teenager. They see the abrupt ban as an irrational attempt to control the students instead of trying to solve issues in accordance with the wants and needs of the student body. 

Izzy Fairbanks, a junior at MT, explains that she believes “it is understandable to limit cell phone use when a teacher is talking, but during independent work time, it is difficult for me to focus without music and I don’t think it’s fair for the administration to take the resource of music away from students.” Other students also find the prohibition of headphones and music damaging to the student body because music provides a therapeutic effect to many students. Without it, days often become very stressful and there is no longer the opportunity to relieve that stress with music during class periods. 

The strict cell phone policy is understandable when a teacher is actively giving instruction or teaching new material. However, when the students are left to do their own work, cell phones should be able to be used as long as they are not distracting other students and as long as the student using their phone is truly doing the work or has all the work completed. Cell phones are a very complicated issue because students can become so addicted that if they are given any power to use them, they might abuse that power.

However, students rely on their phones as an outlet from their stressful day. In addition, there shouldn’t be a strict rule that prohibits the use of headphones and earbuds even after instructional time. A study done by the American Psychological Association proves that music has a therapeutic and even pain relieving effect through all stages of life. Music is directly associated with relaxation and calming the mind, which is exactly what hundreds of MT students need during the day. With tests and homework and projects, music and a brief escape into the phone is sometimes necessary for students. It is true that all students should be focused on the teacher when they are lecturing, but when instructional time is over, it should be up to the students to do what is best for them. If they chose not to do the independent class work, then that is their own personal choice to not use their education to its full potential. And if a student needs a break from the day and wants to put in their headphones to recharge with a good song or a funny video, then they should be able to. 

High school is a place to prepare teenagers for the world outside of a school building, and listening to one’s mind and body is one of the most important skills that a person can develop. The strict suppression of cell phones may improve general academic standings in the school, but it is not in the best interest of the students as a whole.