Township residents anxiously await Super Bowl

Left: Jessica Kurtz, Township gym teacher. Right: Rachel Pongonis, sophomore at Township. Photos by Francesca Rossini.

The 55th Super Bowl will be a showdown between Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs and Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The match will take place in the Buccaneers’ very own Raymond James Stadium on February 7 starting at 6:30 pm.

Jessica Kurtz, a gym teacher at Township, is completely prepared for Super Bowl Sunday. “I’m going to be watching on my 70-inch, 4K TV,” she said. “It’s going to be excellent.” 

Kurtz is just one of millions around the country who will be tuning in for what is arguably America’s biggest sports event. 

Brady, 43, will be playing in his 10th Super Bowl, looking for his seventh title, while Mahomes, 25, and his Chiefs are looking for their second Super Bowl win, which would make them only the seventh team in the NFL to do so. 

Tony Romo, former Cowboys quarterback and sports analyst, expressed the importance of the matchup in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times: “This is the biggest game Patrick Mahomes will ever play in for the rest of his career. If he loses this game, he cannot catch Tom Brady, in my opinion.”

If the outcome is in favor of Kansas City, Mahomes will be the second quarterback ever to win two Super Bowls in his first four seasons. 

The Buccaneers will be the first team since 1966 to host the Super Bowl in their own home stadium. The last time a championship was held in a home stadium was 55 years ago at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin, when the Green Bay Packers defeated the Cleveland Browns in the NFL Championship. 

Some argue that the Buccaneers playing on their home field is unfair for the Chiefs and an advantage to the Buccaneers, while others disagree. At Manheim Township, some think that it is neat that the Buccaneers get the opportunity to do so. 

“I think [the Buccaneers playing on their home field] is pretty cool and it’s the first time it’s happened,” said Matt Johns, the Dean of Students. “They’ve earned it, so why not have that opportunity?” 

The staff and students of Township expressed their opinions on Brady going to his tenth Super Bowl after having spent less than a year with Tampa Bay. 

“I think it’s cool, but I never really liked him,” said Freshman Keira Robinson.  

Robinson isn’t the only one that isn’t a fan of Brady. Some may praise his dedication to football, but may still dislike him.

Kurtz reflects this sentiment. “I don’t really like Tom Brady…but I do respect his game and he is very good at football. So I’m…happy for him, but I still don’t like him,” she said.

Others do not mind Brady leading another team to the Super Bowl. 

“I’m not very anti-Tom Brady,” said Johns. “I think it’s funny how much he upsets people, so it’s interesting to see how upset some people are.”

With all of the excitement between Brady and Mahomes, the many parties thrown by passionate football fans and the massive celebrations following the big game are a signature Super Bowl tradition. But with the coronavirus pandemic, parties will likely be thrown aside. Although Lancaster County is currently in the green phase (where gatherings of up to ten people are permitted, following CDC guidelines), the PA Department of Health urges Pennsylvanians to avoid social gatherings whenever possible. 

Dr. Greg Rossini, a pulmonologist at Lancaster General Hospital, works in the ICU with coronavirus patients and knows the dangers of the virus. “It’s probably not safe enough at this point [to have a Super Bowl party], because not everyone is vaccinated,” he said. He noted that gatherings are prone to airborne transmissions of the coronavirus, even though all participants may be wearing face coverings. 

According to the World Health Organization, a person infected with COVID-19 can spread it to others through simple actions, such as coughing, sneezing, or even just talking. Masks do not necessarily ensure that an individual will not become infected with the virus, especially when exposed to those not part of one’s immediate family. 

“Stating the obvious, it’s best not to have a gathering,” Rossini said. “If you absolutely must have a gathering, make sure there’s appropriate protective equipment and hand-washing.”

Some of Township’s students and staff seem to be taking this advice and avoiding parties on Super Bowl Sunday. 

Robinson said that she normally watches the Super Bowl with her family. This year there will be no family gathering. “[Our plans are] kind of different because of COVID-19,” she said. 

On the other hand, Sophomore Rachel Pongonis says her plans for the Super Bowl will be the same as in previous years. “Normally, we just sit around and watch the game. We don’t really do anything,” she said.

Johns said that his family typically gets together with several other families on Super Bowl Sunday. “This year, it’ll be just our family,” he said. “And there will definitely be some buffalo dip.”