Senior Jenna Smith Shows her School Spirit in Both Marching Band and Cheer

Jenna+Smith
Jenna Smith

Anyone who participates in a school sport knows the time and commitment it takes to stay in the game. Less glorified sports and activities take just as much dedication, especially when you’re involved in multiple. From football, to cheer, to marching band, many of our school athletes find themselves lacking time to do other things. 

Our current Student Spotlight, Jenna Smith, has somehow found the time to do it all. 

Even as a senior cheer captain, Jenna also plays the clarinet in the MT Marching Band. 

“It can be difficult balancing both at first,” said Smith. “It was very stressful over the summer trying to make sure I learned all the material I need for both activities, but both my coach and director have been super flexible and have coordinated with me and one another to create a schedule where I can do both.”      

She brings spirit and dedication to the field show as well as dazzling the crowd with her high-energy cheering. Smith proudly marches at our football games in her cheer uniform, drawing the attention of many. Smith has even attempted to teach some of her fellow cheerleaders how to march, something that is not seen in many schools. 

Smith does not simply extend her energy to cheer; at performances and practices, she can be seen encouraging others to have their best possible performance. 

So, after being a part of varsity cheer for all of high school, what made Smith decide to join the marching band? 

“I have friends in both,” explained Smith, “and it wasn’t until junior year I started considering doing marching band because Lily Babione encouraged me to go to the meeting. I loved the environment that the band was in. I loved the idea of doing both and being a double threat because I’ve seen other cheerleaders who have performed and since it was my senior year, I decided to take a chance on it and do both.” 

Smith shows the school community that pursuing multiple passions is, in fact, possible. This will hopefully encourage many future athletes to follow in her footsteps and pursue whatever they are interested in.