MTHS’s Podcast Studios Create New Opportunities for Students

Annabel Albright, Staff writer

Throughout the 2010s and especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, podcasting has become an increasingly popular form of media. At MTHS, students have had the opportunity to use the school’s new podcast studios to create projects for their classes and try out this rising form of content creation.

Around the world, there are more than 400 million podcast listeners and over 2 million podcasts to choose from. In recent years, the popularity of podcasts have reached an all-time high in the US. Nearly 80% of Americans over the age of 12 have listened to some kind of podcast, which is up 30% from just one decade ago. Podcasting is a unique way for people to listen to meaningful conversations about any topic they may be interested in.

As podcasts became more plentiful, the idea emerged that podcasts can be a great educational tool. In the 2022-2023 school year, students at MTHS have had the opportunity to create their own projects. “We’re offering a new media for students to showcase their work for classes,” said MTHS librarian, Mrs. Leisey. Students have been able to use this new equipment for classes such as Journalism, Media Literacy, Video Production, and more.

MTHS received a grant from Manheim Township Educational Foundation (MTEF) for $50,000, covering much of the production of the studios, although some additional costs were also needed. MTHS decided to create these production studios to provide students with greater opportunities to generate more high-quality sound and channel their creativity.

Podcasting equipment has been available in the library since May 2022. The podcasting equipment includes 3 RODECaster Pro Podcast boards, with four microphones for each board included. In March of 2023, the official podcast studios opened for use, and have received extremely positive feedback. 

Students have enjoyed being able to use the podcast equipment for their school projects. Freshman Ece Ak used the equipment earlier this year for her Video Production project. She expressed that it enhanced the quality of the project and was a lot of fun to use. “The microphones and audio recording was really clear and crisp; it sounded professional,” she said.

Freshman Claire Miller also enjoyed using the podcast equipment for her Media Literacy class. “I loved using the podcast studios because it makes the project more interesting and enjoyable to do,” she said. “I like how our school is developing new ways for students to make projects as technology advances.” 

In Journalism 1, students used the podcast studios to create a podcast of their choosing. Many students reviewed TV shows, movies, and music, while others chose to discuss conspiracy theories and pop culture topics. The podcast studios allowed the class to record and edit these podcasts with ease, and displayed how education can progress along with advances in technology.

There are many jobs in the modern world related to content creation, and giving students the chance to experience how podcasts are made will open up more opportunities for them in the future. The central location of the library and the efficiency of the equipment will continue to provide students with a way to discuss topics and create high-quality projects for classes.