The Start of Another Season: Spring Sports!

Photo credit: Kim Kittleman

Rose Montgomery, Staff writer

As the weather begins to warm up and winter comes to an end, there is a new season in session—spring sports! MT’s eight spring athletic programs began their season on Monday, March 6, and have already brought home many victories. These teams include baseball, softball, girls and boys lacrosse, girls and boys track and field, boys tennis and boys volleyball. With much hard work, these teams hope to compete in postseason competitions, trying to bring home league, district, and even state titles. To see updates on games, matches and meets, follow the MT Athletic Department’s Instagram and Twitter pages @mtbluestreaks.

After their incredible season came to an end after their loss to Liberty in the PIAA State first round, MT Baseball is back and wanting to reach the same standards as last year. Their eight seniors hope to lead the team to a win at their next game against Solanco and throughout the rest of their season. 

Facing the loss of three crucial senior players and new coaching changes, MT Softball is working on getting better at playing as a team. Sophomore Ashley Bryant expressed that the team is “working together to achieve their goals of winning Districts and getting far in states.” The team’s next opponent is Twin Valley, who they will face at home on April 1. 

With a substantial group of 11 seniors leading the team, MT Girls Lacrosse hopes to return to the PIAA State Championship for the fifth consecutive year. Sophomore Bella Marinaro said that the team is “shooting to work hard and win big,” referring to  the hope of winning leagues, districts, and states. Beginning the season with a 1-1 record, Girls Lacrosse hopes to continue to dominate the Lancaster-Lebanon League, as well as work together to exceed their success of last year. 

With many starters returning from last year’s season, MT Boys Lacrosse has the goal of winning big and beating their long-time rival, Hempfield. In last year’s season, MT faced Hempfield in the Lancaster-Lebanon League Championship and in the District Semifinals, coming out victorious both times. This season, they hope to dominate their challenging schedule and win leagues and districts. 

With many new freshmen and much of last year’s team returning, MT Girls Track and Field is set for success. Beginning the season with a 2-0 undefeated record, the girls are hoping to qualify for many events in league, district, state and Penn Relays events in their upcoming meets. Sophomore Sofia Shorter said that she “hopes to qualify for the Lancaster-Lebanon League Track meet in the 100 and 300 hurdles, as well as the team’s 4 by 800 relay to qualify for the PIAA State Track meet.” The girls will compete next at the Bruce Dallas Invitational on April 1. 

Although MT’s Boys Track and Field team has had a challenging beginning to their season, falling short to Exeter and Hempfield, they hope to obtain a victory in their remaining league meets. “We are hoping to build a better team dynamic and just have fun all season,” said freshman Luke Reinking, who has the personal goal of running a sub-five minute mile and making the Lancaster-Lebanon League meet. Boy’s MT Track and Field will be attending the Bruce Dallas Invitational on April 1.     

MT Athletics has added another track program for this year’s season called Unified Track and Field. A Unified team is a 9th-12th grade coed team that gives those who are eligible for the Special Olympics (intellectual disability, developmental disability, or cognitive delay) the chance to compete in a varsity sport. Coach Sloss leads the team along with student-athletes from around the school who help to encourage acceptance and teamwork.  

A famously successful team, MT Boys Tennis is coming into their season with even more to prove. As sophomore Jack Reynolds expressed, the team is “hoping to beat Hempfield and qualify for states this season,” being only a match away last season. As they enter their season with a 2-1 record, MT Boys Tennis faces Conestoga Valley as their next opponent. 

This season for MT Boys Volleyball is a building year. With a new coach and many new crucial players, the team is focussing on re-learning the basics and building a better team dynamic. “The team’s attitude has changed and everyone in the program cares,” said sophomore Owen Moore regarding the new changes within the team. MT Boys Volleyball  is hoping to qualify for districts and defeat their rival, Hempfield, all while working together as a team. The next games that they will compete in are in the Kennett Tournament on Saturday, April 1.