Clash of Classes returns

Maddie Balestier

After a two-year hiatus due to COVID, Clash of the Classes is making a comeback this spring. A fun event planned by student council, Clash of the Classes features different activities and food for students to enjoy, as well as friendly competition between grades.

To accommodate the event, the school will be running an early dismissal schedule on Thursday May 26th. The first half of the day will consist of normal classes, but from 1:00 to 2:30, students will get to experience Clash of the Classes.

The days leading up to the Clash of the Classes will feature a spirit week as well as minute-to-win-it games “so that everyone’s getting excited for it,” said junior Liza Suydam, a member of student council. The minute-to-win-it games will consist of short competitions between members of the different classes, and they will be broadcasted on Wednesday and Thursday morning.

The actual event will consist of a bunch of activities run by high school clubs, such as a chess game run by the chess club. Other activities will include a cake walk, dunk tank, bounce house, karaoke, and more.

“It’s very much station-based,” said senior president of student council Luke Welch.

There will also be food for students, such as Rita’s, soft pretzels, and cotton candy. Additionally, a pep rally in the arena will include more games played by class representatives, such as dodgeball, tug of war, and 5 vs 5 basketball. The pep rally will be optional to students because “obviously [with] COVID restrictions you can’t force everyone into the arena…but it’s going to be really cool to be there,” Welch said.

This year’s event will place an emphasis on the competition between the classes. “In the previous years, at least when I experienced it, there wasn’t much competition, but we’re definitely bringing that element back this year,” Welch said. “We’re very excited about that.” The class who wins the most minute-to-win-it and pep rally games gets bragging rights.

The entire event is free to students. The only purchase is the $10 Clash of the Classes T-shirt, which is optional.

For more information, listen to the announcements, check out student council’s Instagram page, and see the posters around the school. “Clash of the Classes is meant to be fun for students, and we just hope everyone will enjoy it,” said junior student council member Long Tran.