Prince Philip’s death stimulates reflection among students

Maddie Balestier

Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh and consort to Queen Elizabeth for over 70 years, died on Friday, April 9. He was 99 years old and had been by the queen’s side since they married in 1947. 

The funeral took place on Saturday, April 17, at St.George’s Chapel on the grounds of Windsor Castle in England. While only 30 people attended the event due to COVID-19 restrictions, thousands mourned all over the world. 

Lisa Poliski, a social studies teacher at MT, says that the size of the ceremony is not a “reflection of his stature; it’s just a reflection of the situation we’re in right now.”

The Band of Grenadier Guards, a regiment of the British Army that the Duke of Edinburgh was a colonel of for more than 40 years, led the procession to the chapel, which was followed by the royal family who arrived on foot. The Queen arrived at the chapel separately. 

Before the service began, there was a nationwide minute of silence for Prince Philip, which was an act that symbolized the importance of the duke and all that he contributed to the monarchy during his life.

While the death of the duke does not necessarily affect students themselves at MT, some say they still recognize the importance of the passing. 

Baybars Charkas, a senior at the high school, found out about the prince’s death in school when he saw the pop-up from the Apple News app on his iPad.

“I was first very sad to learn that he was only two months away from becoming a centenarian. … That’s such an important milestone, and I wish he could have enjoyed it,” Charkas says. 

Other students, like Matthew Kemper and Sophie Yost, share the same disappointment that Philip was not able to make it to his 100th birthday, especially when he was so close. 

The prince’s age as a whole has come to a shock to some students, as it is a reminder that there are still plenty of people alive who were around during some very significant moments in the history of the world. “When he was at the height of [the monarchy’s power], England still had colonial holdings in Africa and India and stuff like that, which is weird to think about,” says Alice Gaalswyk, a senior at MT.  

For people like Gaalswyk, these times seem so long ago, and it is crazy to think that in reality, they aren’t any more than 100 years old. 

The death of Prince Philip has brought up some of the controversies surrounding his character, as well. The duke had been known to make some racially and sexually inappropriate remarks during his time as a member of the royal family. . 

Kemper, a junior, recognizes that the prince said some things that people did not necessarily agree with, but he also realizes that the prince “was part of an older generation” and grew up during a different time. 

However unprofessional Prince Philip’s comments were, some students stressed his  achievements over the course of his long life, such as advocating for the environment and fighting in World War II. 

“Usually we have the stereotype of the royals having these big medals on them and most of these medals they didn’t earn. Prince Philip earned a lot of his medals,” says Charkas. “He conducted himself admirably during World War II as a sailor fighting the Nazis. So that part of him definitely deserves to be remembered.”

Some students like Yost advocate acknowledging both the positive and negative legacies important figures leave behind. “when remembering someone who has lived to an old age and also has had an impactful role in the world as we know it, it’s still important to not idolize them to the extent that we are blinded by their actions,” she says.

By simply remembering Prince Philip’s legacy rather than worshiping him to the extent of sticking our heads in the sand, one can appreciate his accomplishments while also realizing that he didn’t always set the best example, according to Yost. Yost believes that a fair examination of the prince’s legacy teaches future generations that even though a person may have had a lot of power, we can still learn from their mistakes. 

As can be seen from pictures across social media and the internet of the castle grounds strewn with flowers and hundreds of people gathering at the gates, the death of the duke has had a huge impact on the public of Britain as a whole.

“The outpouring of emotion and support for the monarchy is overwhelming,” says Poliski. 

The monarchy is an important part of English culture and heritage. “Many generations grew up with him being half of the head of state. … And I think because of that, he’s played such a vital role in the look of the royal family,” says Yost.