Students nervous about AP tests during pandemic

Baybars Charkas

Photo of Convocation Hall

Bella Vitti

The time of the year where the air becomes warmer and summer is almost within grasps is once again quickly approaching. Along with this comes the nerve racking fact that AP tests are almost upon students across the country. Since this year has been so unpredictable and the way students are being educated is very different from  past years, the AP tests are causing concern for students and teachers.

Currently, the plan for Manheim Township students is that they will have to take the test in person as in previous years. No notes will be available nor any accommodations relating to the pandemic will be allowed. After a year of being in and out of school and having less than ideal learning environments, students and educators have raised some concerns about the upcoming tests. 

This year, there are no cancellation fees and many students took advantage of this. Some students have expressed that they feel unprepared, especially after being online for so many months. Mason Lefever said that he was “nervous about taking an in-person test after taking so many tests online.” Changing to a completely different format and educational setting may cause a lot of stress and anxiety for students. 

Sophia Shultz is currently enrolled in AP Psychology and she “always uses notes [for tests], so she feels unprepared to take this AP test without [them].” AP Psychology is not the only class where notes have been acceptable to use on tests. Since a lot of students are online this year, many teachers felt it would be fair to let their in-person students use notes on tests and quizzes, because many students at home were using them as well. This has also caused a lack of studying which has arguably led to a very little retention of information. So, having to now learn an entire year’s worth of material for AP exams can be overwhelming. 

Teachers are also under a lot of pressure and stress this year to try and prepare the students as much as possible. The work that they put in to ensure that both students in school and out of school get the same education has been admirable. Mrs. Myers says that “people online will most likely still have to take it in person, despite the challenging year.” Her and many other teachers are unsure on how to make it so that the tests are as fair as possible for everyone who is still interested in taking the tests, while trying to guarantee that all students are prepared.

Overall, educators and students have raised multiple concerns about the absence of changes that are not being made to the AP tests. This year has been anything but normal and many people at the high school believe that the tests should acknowledge and reflect that. Specifically, Olivia Thomas says that since she has been online most of the year she believes that “the AP tests should mirror the types of tests she has been taking all year long,” instead of being a completely different format. With so many unprecedented situations and problems this year, students should be granted with the adjustments they need to succeed on these tests.