COVID-19 complicates course selection

Photo by Elle Commerce

Elle Commerce

As course selection approaches, students are worried that they are missing key topics in their curriculum with the disruption in their education due to COVID-19. They are also unsure which classes they will be able to handle next year as people attempt to return to some sort of normalcy. With pieces of classes being cut out to save time and accommodate online students, some worry that moving onto harder classes will set them up for a tough year and bad grades.

“It’s harder to communicate with the teachers about what classes I’m ready for and what would suit me. I’m not completely comfortable with talking to teachers of classes I’m thinking about taking, and it’s difficult to know if taking their course is the best thing for me,” says junior Faith McGowan.

In years past, teachers recommended students with little to no input from the students, but COVID-19 has interrupted lessons and played a factor in students’ grades and learning capabilities. This has made it harder to determine what level students are ready for in their future classes. Some teachers are creating Google Forms and leaving the course selection up to the students. This places more pressure on students about what they want to learn and it forces students to accurately analyze their strengths and weaknesses without bias.

Rachelle Impink, a math teacher at Township, shared some advice on the upcoming course selection saying, “First, make sure you get in your graduation requirements. Second, pick courses that are aligned to your future career. It is important to look at your schedule after you finish and make sure you are balanced. You should take into consideration this year and last year when you’re considering courses for your future as these years were not typical years,” Impink said.

Teachers are finding it difficult to recommend students for the classes that are typically taken the next year because there were less assessments of each student’s capabilities, such as the removal of a midterm exam. This leaves it more open to the students to decide for themselves what type and level (CP, Honors, IB, or AP) of classes they can handle. Making sure that students pick classes that don’t add unnecessary stress, or are the wrong option for them is a priority for teachers.

There is also a concern for not only finding a balance in people’s schedules, but adapting to the college’s new standards in the COVID-19 environment. Many questions arise around course selection, because some believe colleges will look more at the difficulty of students’ schedules, due to The College Board removing the SAT essay and subject tests. People trying to set themselves up for future success while also recognizing that they might have to catch up in some classes is a struggle.

On March 10, course selection opens for students in Sapphire Portal. This leaves them little time to figure out which classes they need to take, while also considering what they can handle in a course load. The school offers the MT Education Planning Guide as an aid for students to understand what each course encompasses, but some find it long and difficult to navigate through. A copy of the Educational Planning Guide can be found in iBooks on every student’s iPad. The teachers and counselors have continuously communicated with the student body that if any students have any questions about their upcoming schedule and courses, they are available for help.