MTHS Students participate in the democratic process

Many of this year’s seniors are first time voters. Here’s their take on this election’s importance.

Bella Vitti

Voting is important in all elections for all types of positions in government. Specifically, this election is arguably one of the most controversial in history and should not be taken lightly. Regardless of the political party, it is every American citizen’s civic duty to vote; and some of Manheim Townships 18-year-olds now have the chance to take part in such a monumental experience. With student-led organizations like the MyVote Project, it is clear that students recognize their responsibility to vote and are taking it seriously. 

The coronavirus has had a colossal impact on society, with unemployment rates down and the economy as a whole suffering from people not being able to leave their homes. The next leader of our country is going to have to navigate through this turmoil. Many people, including students at Manheim Township, have expressed their opinions about who is fit to handle this responsibility. Students, such as Senior Evan Clark, will be voting for Trump to be reelected because he says that “Biden is just too weak.” He came to this conclusion after “watching both the presidential and vice-presidential debate”. He knows information about both parties and after considering both options he made an educated decision. 

Nicole Csoky also watched “both debates,” but is voting for Biden. She said that she does “not stand for some of the things Trump says” and so she is not planning on voting for him. 

It is very clear that no matter the political viewpoint, this is a crucial year for everyone to voice their opinion. People like Katie Barber especially recognize this substantial duty. Barber is heavily involved in the MyVote project and also believes that America is at “a crossroad between two opposite candidates and the next presidents will determine the direction America moves for the coming years.” This quote exemplifies the point that the next four years are going to be very critical in determining what kind of country America will become. Also, Barber’s reference to America being at a crossroads shows how divided the country currently is. 

One of the reasons the country is so divided is because these two candidates are virtually opposites of each other. Biden believes in the right to an abortion, the rights of immigrants, and putting more money into the education system. Where Trump does not believe in the rights to an abortion, is trying to keep immigrants out of this country, and cut education programs by 5 billion dollars. With scandals, the news, and numerous controversies, it is so easy to forget the true meaning of an election. Social media tends to place importance on the dramatics of the election, instead of on Biden and Trump’s credentials. This is why it is so important to do research and the responsibility of having the freedom to choose who we want to govern and pass laws cannot be overlooked. 

The results of this election will cause somewhat of an uproar no matter who gets elected into office. Senior Dylan King agrees that “everyone should speak their voice and no matter the outcome stay together.” 

It is vital to remember that American citizens need to be a united front and that someone is elected who shares this same viewpoint. Regardless of this election’s outcome, the United States needs to come together and support each other during such a stressful and unpredictable time; and some seniors at Manheim Township have the power to ensure this happens.

Turning eighteen years old encompasses many milestones, but arguably the most important one is having the privilege of voting and voicing your opinion. “For everyone who is of age, go vote!” Barber said.