Face-to-face students allowed to go remote

Baybars Charkas

MTSD is allowing face-to-face learners to attend school remotely. Face-to-face students interested in switching to remote instruction must fill out this application by Thursday, Sept. 24 in order to have their request considered. 

Students who chose to study via the MT Virtual Academy will not have the option to switch and must continue their studies using the MTVA.  Remote students do not have the option to attend school face-to-face.

The change in policy was relayed to students and their parents via email on Friday, Sept. 18. “We also recognize that there may be some families who signed up for ‘Option 1’ (Face-to-Face) but are now feeling uneasy about the full five days per week here in our school building,” the email read. 

The district’s decision to allow face-to-face students to switch to remote (MTFlex) learning comes after students and parents raised concerns that the administration’s decisions to go to the green phase would help spread the coronavirus. As of Monday, Sept. 14, all students who chose the face-to-face option were required to return to school five days a week. A petition circulated among MTHS students and parents urging the administration to reconsider its decision received hundreds of signatures. The district has not responded to the petition. 

The district is also allowing parents to email in absence notes to Sue Fegley at [email protected] within three days of absence. The note should include the student name, grade, date of absence, reason for absence and a parent signature.