School board votes to reopen schools, provide online options

The MTSD School Board voted to adopt the administration’s reopening regimen, allowing students to return to school as usual if the district is in the green.

Current members of the board. Top from the left: Stephen Grosh, Janet Carroll, Joyce Stevens, John Smith, and Curtis Holgate. Bottom from the left: April Weaver, Nikki Rivera (President), Sara Grosh, and JoAnn Hentz

Dora Betts

The Manheim Township School Board has approved a reopening plan for the upcoming 2020-2021 school year. The plan may allow for students to return to school in person on August 25. 

The plan was presented at the board’s livestreamed meeting on Thursday, July 30 by Superintendent RobinFelty and other school officials. It consists of three options: face-to-face learning, remote learning, or the Manheim Township Virtual Academy (MTVA). Each option will vary in its execution depending on whether MTSD is in the green, yellow, or red phase of the coronavirus pandemic. 

The face-to-face option in the green phase will allow students to physically attend classes Monday through Friday. Students are also eligible to attend the Career & Technology Center. Students will follow regular building schedules.

In the yellow phase, students may choose to follow a hybrid schedule, which allows them to attend school on Mondays and Thursdays and work remotely on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This schedule could change depending on the student. If MTSD is in the red phase, then all students must work remotely. 

Students who choose the remote learning option via the district-issued iPad will learn from home Monday through Friday using instructional materials provided by MTSD teachers. In-class instruction will be livestreamed and synchronous, while independent work will be planned daily. Special needs students can also utilize this option, which will trigger a team IEP meeting to assess the needs of the student. Students will follow the regular building schedules as shared on Schoology. This option will remain available for all three phases.

The third option, the MTVA, will be completely online as well. Students will engage in independent learning and practice at home on their district-issued iPad. They will not be taught by MTSD teachers; rather, they will be taught by certified teachers accredited by the district. All instruction is asynchronous, so students will learn on their own time or schedule. No live teaching or instruction will be provided. Special needs students may utilize this option, which will trigger a team IEP meeting to assess needs of the student. This option will remain available for all three phases. 

MTFlex is a program that will allow students to connect with teachers via video. Teachers will simultaneously teach in person while remote students engage synchronously. As for independent work, teachers will deliver a lesson through a live stream, and then the students will work independently. The school board will be providing teachers with training on how to use cameras in classes and plans to create a district how-to guide for teachers. Parent training about online learning will take place as well. 

For all options, students will have access to MT school counselors, school nurses, school psychologists and other support services. 

All students can participate in extracurricular activities as well. However, sports-related activities are currently limited to only athletes, coaches, and officials. No spectators are allowed. The school board discussed plans to livestream games.

Regarding safety procedures, multiple precautions and changes will be taken: non-essential furniture will be removed, the seating in the cafeteria will be spread out, there will be one-way directional signs in hallways, no drinking from water fountains, and human contact will be minimized. Field trips are suspended until they are approved. As for student dismissal procedures, certain classes will be dismissed before others so as to stagger the dismissal processes. School buses will be cleaned in the morning and afternoon daily, and bus windows will be opened where appropriate. Staff will be encouraged to open windows in order to circulate outside air and to utilize air filtration equipment.

Masks will be required and enforced for both the staff and students. They may only be removed when eating, when students are seated or doing an activity at least six feet apart, or when athletes are actively engaging in physical activity. There will be exceptions for students with disabilities that face difficulty wearing masks. 

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the nurse’s office will maintain a chart to track people who seem to have COVID-19 symptoms. If a student or teacher presents symptoms, they will be moved to a discrete space and questioned. A health nurse will determine whether or not there is a possibility that the person has symptoms of the virus. If they have a temperature of 100.4 degrees or above, then they will be automatically quarantined. However, the health nurse can not diagnose the person. If it is determined that it is possible the person has COVID-19, then the classrooms that they had class in will be moved to a different location and the rooms will be scrubbed. The person with symptoms will be sent home. The school will then go about contact tracing. The Department of Health will be contacted and will help the school to determine who needs to isolate and who needs to quarantine. 

Those who supported the reopening were concerned that forcing students to stay home away from the company of their friends and support of their teachers would have a detrimental effect on those students’ mental and developmental health. April Weaver, a member of the board, noted that schools are on the front lines in detecting and reporting child abuse. Removing the option to go back to in-person school, Weaver said, would take away a critical line of defense meant to protect students from harm in the home.

The Thursday meeting allowed for written and spoken comments via Zoom. Multiple teachers and parents shared their thoughts regarding the district’s proposed plan. 

“I cannot help but question what new trauma this environment will create for our students,” said MTMS teacher Brian Booker in his written letter to the board. He then suggested that the first marking period should be virtual, led by students’ new teachers. 

MTHS teacher and MTEA president Daniel Reynolds also read his written letter. He discusses the anxiety and frustration of his colleagues regarding returning to brick-and-mortar: “My colleagues are frustrated about decisions being based on fine legal points or short-term financial consideration instead of being based upon the greatest good for the greatest number in the district and beyond.” 

MTHS teacher David Farina also spoke out: “Going back would mean that we would once again sacrifice all family contant for their safety. My parents and grandparents are going to miss out on a year of my son’s life … Virtual is by far the most effective means to provide our students with high-quality education that meets our district’s goals.” 

After over thirty minutes of contentious debate, the school board approved the plan 8-1.  Curtis Holgate (D) cast the only dissenting vote. 

While each option holds extensive information, these plans are not unchangeable as mentioned by the school board. The plan must also be approved by the PA Department of Education. Parents can access a survey on Sapphire Community Web Portal to declare which options they prefer for their children, their transportation needs and an initial commitment length. For more information, visit the Reopening our Schools tab on the district website. Information will also be physically mailed to parents. 

“We take seriously our responsibility to provide strong educational programming to all students in the safest way possible during this pandemic,” said MTSD Superintendent Dr. Robin L. Felty in her recent letter to families.

Baybars Charkas contributed reporting.