School Mascot Brings Excitement to Students

Picture courtesy of Kayla Unangst.

Addison Journey, Staff writer

The return of the school mascot in 2019 has sent a wave of excitement and spirit through the student body. During pep rallies, football games, and other school events, Sir Streaks a Lot can be found enthusiastically hyping up the crowd and putting smiles on peoples’ faces. But who is in the costume? And how did they get there? Although some of the answers remain a mystery. Mr. Kranch, a teacher at the school who was part of the audition process, explained that the trait they were looking for the most was “enthusiasm, ability to engage a crowd, and characterization.” It is important that Sir Streaks a Lot has his own personality and is very likable. Mr. Kranch further explained that dance or cheer experience would be helpful, however, it is not necessary to be chosen as the mascot. When it comes to physical requirements, ideally the taller the better, but the costume fits most all body types, making anyone a possibility. 

Since the return of the mascot a few years ago, it appears that Sir Streaks a Lot will be a common name throughout the hallways. Students around the building wonder who is inside the lion costume, and when the lion will make its next appearance. An anonymous student explained that they “don’t know who is in the costume but I like their vibe.” It is impossible to deny the excitement that the mascot brings to the students and that became very clear at the pep rally this Friday. 

The cheers and laughter that came from the energy of Sir Streaks a Lot makes it undeniably clear that whoever was chosen to be in the costume was selected very well. The anonymous student explained that they think the mascot is “silly and fun,” and also “a great addition to school events.” 

With the help of cheer coach Melissa Tzetzos, dance team coach Liz Wardwell, and Mr. Kranch, the person behind the costume has been chosen and will now be making more and more appearances at school events.