Pandemic challenges teacher morale

Rooms 248-260 pod. Photo by Francesca Rossini

Francesca Rossini

COVID-19 has provided many difficulties for teachers during the 2020-2021 school year. Teachers have faced a variety of challenges, either technologically or mentally, and morale has taken a hit. 

English teacher Jennifer Deibler said that this year has been one of the hardest. “I know personally, I am not teaching the way I normally would teach, and it’s disheartening,” she said. “The things that I normally enjoy and feel excited about, I haven’t been able to do the same way.” 

First-year English teacher Dylan Kranch replaced Brian Early, who took a sabbatical for the year. Kranch said he finds it difficult to balance teaching both in-person and online students. “It is really hard [to be adaptable], especially when you have some tools in your toolbelt that you want to use, and you want to try, [but] you just can’t,” he said.

Despite the prevalent COVID-19 issues now, history teacher Daniel Reynolds said he feels that the beginning of the school year was more difficult, especially since there was no preparation for the first day of school. 

Deibler also expressed this sentiment. “It’s funny, because now it seems like, how did anyone do it?” she said. She says she found it harder starting in the yellow phase, as well as dealing with worries such as keeping students safe. 

The beginning of the year was especially difficult for one of Kranch’s classes. Kranch explained when half of the class was contact-traced during the beginning of the school year, students were feeling distraught and confused, so he decided to put content on hold and help students through their fears and frustrations. 

Kranch highlighted the importance of having a support system during this school year. “For students, I always find that [their] needs come first,” he said. 

Regarding the remainder of the school year, Reynolds said he does not have any concerns, but is rather concerned for the next school year. “Hopefully, at the beginning of next year, we will be ninety percent in class … but I don’t know,” he said.  

On the other hand, Kranch is worried about the future of school in general. “I’m worried that it’s not going to be what everybody wants it to be anymore, and it’s not ever going to be what it was like again,” he said.  

With all of the negatives this school year, Deibler said she tries to find positives in the little things. “I love my students,” she said. “They’re good kids, they work hard, and they’re trying their best. I think it took us all longer to find that understanding this year, but it’s still there.”