Football games take on new meanings this year

Members of the football team stand in attention as the national anthem is played. Photo by Tatiana Nevarez

Talia Nevarez

With about four high school football games left, the Manheim Township marching band, cheerleaders and the football players have all been working very diligently during the coronavirus pandemic. At least once or twice a week each of the groups practiced into the night in the summer and after school to make this season happen. 

“One Band, One Sound” is a phrase said by Dr. Lee, one of the characters of the 2002 movie “DrumLine.”  This quote signifies that everyone has a talent of their own but when everyone works together, we become something greater. The support from one another shows how much athletes enjoy doing these sports and activities. For them, to be able to play and perform during a pandemic is inspiring.  The Manheim Township community is working together as a team even more by wearing masks and following the school procedures to protect everyone from COVID-19.

The students and staff dedicate their time to the sports and activities they love but no one knows for sure if things would ever go back to what it once was. Even though the crowds in the stands were reduced and most of their fans had to watch online, the game was still enjoyable no matter what because they are together on the field. The students and staff took on the challenge to make this season as meaningful as possible for everyone while taking COVID-19 precautions.

Many have adapted to the new change in the environment and their new surroundings. It may be a little quiet on the field, but the cheers from the cheerleaders on the track and the tunes played from the marching band help fill up the gap.

This football season is unlike any other because of the change in the spectator rules.  During home games the marching band was allowed to sit in the field but not on the stands, so because of that they sat safely behind the goal. The cheerleaders were also allowed to perform on the track.

Each visiting team is given tickets to distribute to those they see fit, and only those who are given the tickets are allowed to attend the football games on the stands. However, there can only be a limited number of people attending football games. Once they reach the maximum number of people, they can’t let anyone else in. 

This year, every Friday night is an important night for the students involved in the sport because it does not matter if it is a win or a loss. The only thing that matters is that everyone is able to take away something from the game and become someone better.  This year there are many changes but they are ready for anything.